Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought and tore apart my 1990 vfr 750 only to find some gummed up carbs. Where do I order / find a rebuild kit? I need an inexpensive starter motor as well, it's working intermittantly. I'm new to this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Just bought and tore apart my 1990 vfr 750 only to find some gummed up carbs. Where do I order / find a rebuild kit? I need an inexpensive starter motor as well, it's working intermittantly. I'm new to this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not aware of anybody doing rebuild kits for bike carbs.
Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Honda 1990 VFR750F CARBURETOR COMP 90-93
I would recommend replacing all of the rubber hoses while you're in there.
And definately replace the fuel filter if you clean the carbs.
Have you connected 12V power directly to the starter motor to rule out a wiring problem?
Have you checked your charging system is okay?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the starter, I've elec. tested to the relay and it is switching...and to the starter and it's getting power at the appropriate time. I think it's just bad. As far as charging system...how do I test that? can you recommend a good site to order the parts I'll need? thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
For the starter, I've elec. tested to the relay and it is switching...and to the starter and it's getting power at the appropriate time. I think it's just bad. As far as charging system...how do I test that? can you recommend a good site to order the parts I'll need? thanks.
This place is probably your best bet for carburetor stuff if you don't want to go OEM:
Motorcycle Parts

If you prefer OEM (I would recommend OEM myself) these two are good bets.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop

www.Bikebandit.com

For carbs, any paper gaskets I cut out of gasket paper of the relevant thickness (particularly important for float bowl gaskets).

The manual has the tests for the charging system, but basically put a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the engine is running and you want something like 14-15.5V. If it's lower than 14.0V I'd say there's a problem, and if voltage is actually dropping then the charging system isn't working at all.
If the charging system is getting weak it might explain your starting problems as the starter motor is the single biggest draw of current. On a Honda, any sign of electrical gremlins the first things to check are the stator and regulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts