Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

919 bearing colors

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bladeracer 
#1 ·
I just bought my wife a 96 cbr 900rr. It had a rattle when i got it after i tore it down the bearing look ok but are different colors. They seemed to have been replaced along with the crank. Shouldn't they have all been the same color also can I just put a green set in it or will i have to mic it all and match the measurements to colors?

#2 ·
No, it is very unlikely they will all be the same.
The manual explains how to read the codes from the crank, rods and cases.
But I recommend you always Plastigage them during installation.

#3 ·
:plus1: I'm in the process of doing my motor as well, I had 3 green and one brown for the main bearings. The manual explains how to determine the color codes as BR said. I had 3 green and one brown for my rod bearings. Changed one green to brown after plastiguage. Everything in spec now. Plastiguage is time consuming, but worth every second. If the crank was replaced the codes on the motor may not jive with the bearings that are in there.

#4 ·
Yea i've got the colors for the rod and main bearings off the motor. The rod bearing were right however the crank had a yellow instead of brown. I'm quite sure that's where the rattle came from since yellow is quite smaller than brown. Why i was puzzled I've done two other 919s and both motors had all green bearings. Also whomever did the motor work on this bike was an idiot. It has 34'000 on it , they only did lower. I'm having head ported polished and flowed while i'm in it. And cleaning up the pistons. Thank's for the replys.

#5 ·
If the head was not removed but the crank was replaced or reground be sure to inspect the rods for any sign of bluing. I would also use new rod bolts if you believe one of the big ends went far enough to damage the crank. When one rod bearing lets go sufficiently to damage the crank, it probably means the other three were on the verge as well.

#6 ·
I just bought my wife a 96 cbr 900rr. It had a rattle when i got it after i tore it down the bearing look ok but are different colors. They seemed to have been replaced along with the crank. Shouldn't they have all been the same color also can I just put a green set in it or will i have to mic it all and match the measurements to colors?

I assume you did already check everything else before deciding to strip the engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.