Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought many a night about the differences and advantages n such between the two motors... 929 factory ratings are just a tad higher but ever individual reveiw picks the 954 every time. maybe because its nimblness enables you to use more power idk. from my understanding from a friend of mine whose opinion i used to take seriously but not so much any more... the 929 has just a smidge longer stroke and the 954 obviously has a little bit bigger bore.... so based on that knowledge... could it be possible to bore a 929 block and use those rods with 954 pistons? idk what do the blade Gods have to say bout this?!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thought many a night about the differences and advantages n such between the two motors... 929 factory ratings are just a tad higher but ever individual reveiw picks the 954 every time. maybe because its nimblness enables you to use more power idk. from my understanding from a friend of mine whose opinion i used to take seriously but not so much any more... the 929 has just a smidge longer stroke and the 954 obviously has a little bit bigger bore.... so based on that knowledge... could it be possible to bore a 929 block and use those rods with 954 pistons? idk what do the blade Gods have to say bout this?!
The cranks are the same stroke.
The 954 has 75mm pistons to the 929's 74mm.
Yes, you can bore a 929 and run 954 pistons, you don't need to swap the rods. You can also run 1000RR 76mm pistons but you may need to touch up the valve pockets - I haven't checked a 1000RR head to see how different the valve layout is.
The 929 and 954 are essentially the same engine other than the bore size but the 954 internals have been lightened or strengthened. From memory I think the cases may even be slightly lighter than 929 cases.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
and the differances in throttle bodies, ecu's, ect?
954 throttle bodies are 2mm larger bore.
954 injectors have a finer spray.
954 ECU has more processing speed and power and controls the thermo fan instead of using a switch in the radiator tank.
Alternator rotor, stator and stator cover are different but will fit either engine if used as a complete set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts