Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys, i have a chance to buy a ex race motor for my 929, and save me building it up (3rd gear had rounded dogs, and i need to do some more work on the engine while im there).

Anyways, question are as follows. As i sold my 954 i cant cross reference, but something in the back of my head says the 954 TB is a larger ID ?. And that the INJ were larger CC ?. too many figures in head.

Also, anyone had exp with 954 long motor into a 929, so running 929 TB, INJ and ECU ?. I have a PC3, only on the fuel side. How different is the ign curve, and has anyone done it with sucsess ?

Other option is get the 954 TB and trim it up via PC3.

Exp ?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Gday guys, i have a chance to buy a ex race motor for my 929, and save me building it up (3rd gear had rounded dogs, and i need to do some more work on the engine while im there).

Anyways, question are as follows. As i sold my 954 i cant cross reference, but something in the back of my head says the 954 TB is a larger ID ?. And that the INJ were larger CC ?. too many figures in head.

Also, anyone had exp with 954 long motor into a 929, so running 929 TB, INJ and ECU ?. I have a PC3, only on the fuel side. How different is the ign curve, and has anyone done it with sucsess ?

Other option is get the 954 TB and trim it up via PC3.

Exp ?
929 TB's are 40mm.
954 are 42mm.
The injectors are different but I don't know what the difference is.
I'm running 954 TB's on my 929.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bugger about the airbox, injector clips arent a issue and can be easily modified.

Either way, the motor i had lined up was fully ported, and a ex-race motor. Porting also probably means cams, and i didnt need a big top end motor, and in the end who knows if it had a spun bearing or destroyed gearbox.

However upon closer inspection, i found a crack in the block, tiny crack in width, around 30mm in length at cyl #1. Found why the motor was yanked from the bike then ... and while i could have devcon/jb welded that up, blocks dont just crack, better to walk away from this one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really ?. Well there you go. Ive never ever seen a cracked block, and ive seen many 929's and 954's thru my workshop over the years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Really ?. Well there you go. Ive never ever seen a cracked block, and ive seen many 929's and 954's thru my workshop over the years.

I was actually just reading a thread yesterday about how the 954's from 2003 have this Factory defect which causes the upper case to split on the front either between cylinder 1&2 or 2&3 ...... How bizarr!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since I have been on here. Financial stuff.....bad economy, ect...

Anyway, I am also debating changing my TB's for the 954's....
What exactly do I need to change other than the airbox and stacks.
Do I need the complete wire harness off the 954 also?
do I need the ECU form the 945?

I have a PCIII on it now... do I need the 954 PCIII or can I just load a blank 954 map into it and put the map numbers in manually?

Alterantively, What about only changing the INJ's? any gains by themselves, or should you just change out TB's and everything?

I haven't found too much info on this. I looked at the post linked to one of the above posts, but its more data and dyno numbers.

Also, on a side note.... I am running a little hotter than I used too....and I can smell gas while riding sometimes, but don't see any leaks. :idunno:

Thanks a lot guys....... It's good to finally be back on the road....:smilierr:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since I have been on here. Financial stuff.....bad economy, ect...

Anyway, I am also debating changing my TB's for the 954's....
What exactly do I need to change other than the airbox and stacks.
Do I need the complete wire harness off the 954 also?
do I need the ECU form the 945?

I have a PCIII on it now... do I need the 954 PCIII or can I just load a blank 954 map into it and put the map numbers in manually?

Alterantively, What about only changing the INJ's? any gains by themselves, or should you just change out TB's and everything?

I haven't found too much info on this. I looked at the post linked to one of the above posts, but its more data and dyno numbers.

Also, on a side note.... I am running a little hotter than I used too....and I can smell gas while riding sometimes, but don't see any leaks. :idunno:

Thanks a lot guys....... It's good to finally be back on the road....:smilierr:
You don't need anything except the throttle bodies and the injector harness.
Check your fuel pressure regulator for the fuel smell.
The vacuum line should be dry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.... just to make sure, I don't need to change the PCIII, just do a regular dyno tune when I get the TB's switched over??

Is there any benefit to only changing out the INJ's for the 954 INJ's?

I will check my regulator in the morning....
thanks....

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.... just to make sure, I don't need to change the PCIII, just do a regular dyno tune when I get the TB's switched over??

Is there any benefit to only changing out the INJ's for the 954 INJ's?

I will check my regulator in the morning....
thanks....
I'm still running my PC2 and I never even remapped.
No idea about the injectors. I'd expect they would be better but I doubt there'd be a measurable difference. The throttle bodies are 2mm bigger though which lets you put a lot more air through the engine and that's where the gains are.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not having done this exact mod myself, but speaking from exp (do this daily with import cars) your larger TB will breathe more up top (how much on its own is a mystery, because supporting mods will play a big part, ie if it has a bolt on, or a full system etc etc) , making the bottom end a big doughy. Your bore / stroke isnt changing, thus your injector will be fine to use (929), and while you are breathing a little more air up top, the INJ has enough cycle duty to keep up with that. The 954 injector is larger in displacement, and it has a different diffuser, but that makes no noticeable difference.

I think that if your really looking for the last ounce of power from a 929, your better off just getting a whole complete 954 motor / ecu and building it to suit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, I think i will just stick to changing out the TB's and INJ's..... Don't exactly have the funds to be doing engine swaps. And I don't know anybody wanting to swap my 929 engine and ECU for there 954 engine and ECU.

Thanks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.