Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys can anyone tell me if a 929 gearbox will fit in a 954 only I have a friend with a 954 with gearbox problems and I can get him a 929 gearbox
any ideas

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe someone else can speak more intelligently on this subject; but from what I remember the only gear that is the same between the 929 / 954 is 6th. As far as swapping the entire gear set from a 929 to a 954, I'm unsure.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
hi guys can anyone tell me if a 929 gearbox will fit in a 954 only I have a friend with a 954 with gearbox problems and I can get him a 929 gearbox
any ideas
I'll try to look for the post... but I believe bladeracer said they're interchangeable COMPLETE, but internal pieces are NOT individually.

FWIW, here it is:
It appears the dogs on second gear are wearing out (43k miles), as anything over 5k rpms it drops out of gear into neutral. On my quest for replacement transmissions I'm coming up empty for 954's, but have found a few 929 transmissions. From what I've read, they "appear" to be interchangeable. Are they (including shift forks and drum, etc)? And if so, is the gearing all the same?

It would be less expensive to just replace the worn gear, but I feel like having a transmission with 11-20k miles may be better than a trans with 43k with a new second gear. Am I wrong for feeling that way? I'd still have to factor in the cost of taking it to a shop to have them press on/off the gears for me.

Will most likely send it out for undercutting while its out. Not sure on the cost of that just yet though.
Gearing is the same.
The transmission wears very little in normal use. Second tends to wear more because it is used more and the gap from first to second is the widest in the box, but proper shifting won't cause any significant wear.
The transmission is interchangeable complete, not individual pieces.
Once you inspect your transmission you can determine if anything else is worn, but I would recommend just replacing the damaged components with new ones.
You don't need to press anything on.
You don't need undercutting, just learn to change gears more cleanly.
APE website lists pricing for undercutting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts