Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be just me, but don't you hate the Dip/High Beam push-on-push-off Switch?
Has anyone replaced the L/H Switchgear for a Unit with a more conventional Hi/Lo Switch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could try one of these from the USA, headlight will come on with ignition , but no passing light and no connection for front sidelights.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK.
Wasn't aware the U.S. models had a different layout.
I've got my eye on a few alternatives at the moment, from Yamahas and Hondas.
The trick is finding one with a Switch for the lights, as most 'modern' Bikes don't have that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking more about it, I could just wire the Hi/Lo through a Switchover Relay, and just use the Passing Switch to do the swap between the two.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I find it fiddly too, and have used the Pass just to get Main quickly. I think you ight find some Yam stuff as an alternative - FZR1000/FZR400 Exup or something if you are happy to mess about witht eh wires - you are unlikely to find anything plug-n-play

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2000-2001 Honda Cbr929rr is good
As above, the UK Switchgear on the 2000-2001 929 is different to yours in the U.S.
The U.S. version would be better, but I think the Changeover (Latching) Relay is the simplest option.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I've been watching a few on ebay that might be suitable, but I'm going with the Relay mod idea first, as I think it'll be the most straightforward way to do it, without permanently altering any of the original wiring, and easily reversible if needed.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
might be best - trouble is after 2002/03 in the UK lights "always on" was introduced so any switchgear newer than this wont have the on-off for the lights, if that's important.

Personally I prefer to have the choice, although seldom would I ride with them off, but if the ignitions on say fiddling with a sat-nav, or camera, I don't want to run the battery down by being forced to have the lights on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here, it's nice to have the choice when doing some maintenance that requires the ignition on for a while.
I was looking at some that had no Light Switch, but did have a Hazard Light Switch.
That could have been used for Lights on/off I guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
have a Hazard Light Switch.
That could have been used for Lights on/off I guess. That could come in handy.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Seems lots of Triumphs, Yams, BMW all had hazard lights long before Honda started to fit them - may be the others just break down more often that a Honda!!! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my Guzzi, I use the Hazards for when I'm waiting for the other Bikes in the rideout to catch up . . . :LOL::unsure:

I'll let you know how the reliability is on mine, after a few years with it, if I keep it that long.
I've drawn a line under the Alternator failure . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts