Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i bought a set of cams from a 929 can these go in my 954 motor? are they the same? pros and cons?

Yes.
954 has 0.26mm and 0.37mm more lift and three degrees more duration on both.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
so should i use the 929 cams or order the 954 cams? will the 929 cams work or will i loose power?

It's your money so that's for you to decide.
Yes, you would lose some power, but not much.
The cam profiles make only a small part of the roughly 10-horsepower advantage the 954 has over the 929 so I'd be surprised if they cost you more than a couple of hp.
That 10hp comes from a combination of the increased capacity and compression, larger throttle bodies, finer injectors, better ECU with finer injector mapping, lighter crank, rods, pistons, alternator rotor and rear wheel - as well as the slightly hotter cam profiles.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i bought a set of cams from a 929 can these go in my 954 motor? are they the same? pros and cons?

I guess I should have asked earlier, why are you replacing your cams?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had couple burnt valves so i ordered head with cams off ebay when i looked at those cams they were worn as well as the original ones i had. so i ordered another set and the guy stated they were for 01 929 and 02-03 954 but i dont think they are for the 954 so i ordered another pair today supose to b for 954 with minamal wear so i guess i wait to see condition of lobes on the set i ordered and go from there or should i throw the 929 cams in. im not looking to race this bike i just want it to be the way it should b its got 21k miles

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i had couple burnt valves so i ordered head with cams off ebay when i looked at those cams they were worn as well as the original ones i had. so i ordered another set and the guy stated they were for 01 929 and 02-03 954 but i dont think they are for the 954 so i ordered another pair today supose to b for 954 with minamal wear so i guess i wait to see condition of lobes on the set i ordered and go from there or should i throw the 929 cams in. im not looking to race this bike i just want it to be the way it should b its got 21k miles

Measure the lobes and compare them to the specs in the manual to determine which cams you have.
How worn are these cams?
I haven't seen any measureable wear on modern cams, the steel is bloody hard stuff.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had couple lobes that were 35.90mm and one that was flat the set i have now looks good i will try out do u recomend locktight on head bolts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i had couple lobes that were 35.90mm and one that was flat the set i have now looks good i will try out do u recomend locktight on head bolts

You don't have a manual for your bike?
Never, ever LokTite head bolts.
You _oil_ the threads and the washers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got manual off net so i oil threads and washers do i coat cams and lifters when installing i have engine assembly lube w grafite or do i just use motor oil? by the way thankyou for all your input

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i got manual off net so i oil threads and washers do i coat cams and lifters when installing i have engine assembly lube w grafite or do i just use motor oil? by the way thankyou for all your input

If you're planning to run the engine soon then just coat everything with engine oil. If the engine is going to sit on a shelf for a long while then use a 50/50 mix of moly grease and engine oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts