Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new chain and sprocket set up for the bike.

Should I stay with -1 down 2 up 15t front, and 44t rear.

530 with steel sprockets?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would convert to a 520 chain, rk and d.i.d. chains are good among others, i would also stick with steel sprockets as they wear slower, although some peeps around here have said they make good sturdy aluminum ones now. Aluminum will definately decrease your unsprung weight though, which is the best weight to lose as far as performance. And the gearing is up to you....i am currently running stock gearing but i intend to do a one down in the front next time i get a new chain...which is before i get to ride my bike again, cuz my $20 chain is toast.
Really all depends on if you care about losing more top end, and if you can deal with the buzziness on the highway

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but what im trying to make sure of as I dont have the bike in front of me is.

The stock is 16t front and 42t rear???? Right???

Oh and yeah Im sticking with steel sprockets.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yeah but what im trying to make sure of as I dont have the bike in front of me is.

The stock is 16t front and 42t rear???? Right???

Oh and yeah Im sticking with steel sprockets.

Thanks
16/43 for US bikes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a sprocket kit from sprocketcenter com 15t front 45t rear steel 530 chain, for 165.95. woot woot

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would've advised against going with evenly divisible sprockets on it, but oh well.

(meaning 45/15 = 3, it can cause odd wear issues).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same set as I have now, just didnt have the bike in front of me to count the teeth.

And as far as bang for your buck IMHO this is the best mod you can do to this bike.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
15/44 or 15/45 is perfect for the 929/954. As far as a 520 or 530 chain? If you're racing, go with the lighter 520 and a hardened aluminum rear sprocket. If your care about longevity (although it'll be pretty good with a quality 520/alum sprocket) stay with the 530 and a steel rear sprocket.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I would've advised against going with evenly divisible sprockets on it, but oh well.

(meaning 45/15 = 3, it can cause odd wear issues).
Why would it matter if they're evenly divisible?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i think he is refering to the fact that the same link of that chain would hit the same tooth on the sprocket each time the chain travels around completely. Thats the only thing i could think of with an evenly divisible sproket....but im not sure if that is even tru. Too much math for me to want to do right now. Even if that is so, i don't see how it would really cause any more wear than any other combo

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with a 15/44 Superlite/D.I.D. 520VM Gold Chain and Steel Sprocket set from Drive Systems USA for my 929RE. Kick-Ass! :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
So a 15/45 will give better acceleration at the expense of top end? It doesn't make it too eager to lift the front wheel does it?

How much higher does it rev at highway speeds?

·
Registered
834 Posts
So a 15/45 will give better acceleration at the expense of top end? It doesn't make it too eager to lift the front wheel does it?

How much higher does it rev at highway speeds?
Go to www.gearingcommander.com . This site lets you see the rpms and estimated speeds for stock compared to your custom setup.

The front will most always come up with stock gearing if you are hard on the throttle so yes changing the gearing will make it even easier.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just curious as to how much my speedo would be off if I were to go to 15/43 or 15/45. Is it alot or not enough to notice?
The speedo will be off about 5 at 60mph with the 15/43. I am running that setup right now on my 954. The 15/45 will make if off even more. The difference in speedo error will increase with higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts