Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the chain on my 929. What is everyone recommending these days? Also, I noticed that my current one does not have a master link, so how do I get it off the bike?

Thanks,
JBird

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Most folks go with the 520 conversion, which saves some weight.  Staying with the stock 530 size is fine, too, as the weight savings with the 520 won't really be noticable.  If you want to change gearing, this is the best time to do it.  Depending on what gearing you use, you may need a slightly longer chain.  From what I understand, the smaller 520 chain will wear as well as the larger 530.  Just remember to change both sprockets when you change the chain.

Edit: The DID brand is the way to go!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Yep, whether you do 520 or 530, DID X ring is it. The VM or the ERV2 series will do!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to cut the chain off, and the local guys sold me a RK Gold Chain. They did tell me to use a Master Link instead of pressing it.

What are your guys thoughts on using a Master Link? A buddy of mine told me not to use it at all, so now I have to wait to get a Chain Press tool in order to ride my bike.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
They all have a master link. The pressed links are much more secure than the clip type, though.
The clip type are OK, there is just that possibility of the clip falling off and causing a problem or two.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, now what is the difference between X-Ring and O-Ring? Why did the guy at the local shop, reputable local shop, sell me an O-Ring with the master link (clip type) and not teh X-Ring?

I'M SO CONFUSED!!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I think DID is the only one that makes what is called an x ring. I think they patented it. It's like an o ring, but the o ring part is shaped a bit differently, like an x, kinda. They claim it works better. If you go to the DID site, I think they explain it. I forget offhand how it works. It's really an O ring type chain, with a bit of a difference.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so if I have an RK O-Ring I should be fine, right? I mean the users manual recommends and O-Ring chain.

I'm wondering if I should bring the chain back and get a refund to use for an X-Ring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts