Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've done a search of engine noise threads and have seen some discussion of cam chain tensioners, HTEV, and valve adjustments. Hard to know what mine might be, since the noise problems described by other threads always seem a bit different. I'm I'm bringing it to a shop tonight to take a look, but want to arm myself with some well-informed opinions.

I just put 3500km on the bike in the last week on a long trip. Prior to the trip I had the major 25,000km service done, which I believe includes checking the valve adjustment. Now the bike is at about 29,000. A couple of thousand km from the end of the trip, the bike started making a loud clacking/clanking sound, during deceleration on engine braking. It was worst when in 3rd or 4th gear, slowing down from 70-80kph down to a stop, with the clutch fully released. Pulling the clutch in stopped the noise completely. From a stop, I could rev the engine in neutral or with the clutch pulled in, without any noise at all. So it was happening only on the move, while in gear and slowing down, with a fully closed throttle.

Opening the throttle even a little bit got rid of the noise. Power seems about the same, mileage is about the same, as before the noise appeared. I'm only concerned because this is not a little noise, it is quite a loud racket that the bike makes as it slows down under engine braking. I've had the bike for 2 years and put on almost 20,000km, so I'm familiar with its usual noises, and this is well above and beyond normal.

Is this what a problem with the cam chain tensioner would cause?

--- D

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The rear brake mount can be a bit noisy on some of these bikes... :twocents:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I'm almost positive its the clutch banging together. not a mechanical problem, its a rider problem. when slowing down really fast on the brakes hard the clutch will bang and slam and make all kinds of racket. I've done it before on a few times. I think the actual cause might be from downshifting too hard and not letting the clutch out smoothly or not matching revs properly.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
That banging is not your clutch, it's the rear brake anti-rotation bracket.... :twocents:

*The front sprocket can make a bit of noise too, especially if it's worn a bit...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned out to be a loose chain. Very, very loose chain. I had adjusted it before the trip, so never even bothered to take a look at it. Foolish me. Immediately assumed it was some much more serious problem. As it turns out the chain was nearing the end of its life anyway, so maybe that has something to do with it stretching so quickly after an adjustment? Who knows. In any case, getting a new chain put on today, should remedy the problem.

--- D

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
That banging is not your clutch, it's the rear brake anti-rotation bracket.... :twocents:

*The front sprocket can make a bit of noise too, especially if it's worn a bit...

hmm everytime its happened to me I thought it sounded like it was coming from the right side of the engine. maybe I just heard wrong, I usually wear ear plugs so that makes it a little harder to pinpoint where a noise is coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts