Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after hard braking and the back wheel jittering really hard from a stupid old lady just slamming her brakes until dead stop for no reason. i continued on my merry way. as i made a right down my sidestreet. my gauges just went dead. no glitching no anything just from working to not working. nothing on the instrument cluster works no tach. no speedo. no temp. no odo. it's like it not getting power at all? now, i've never seen anything like it? the the cluster have gone out from the shaking of the bike?? suggestions???? thanks in advance! P.S. checked all fuses. working properly!

shows high and low beams. turn signals. that's it. and the horn no longer functions too!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
horn and instrument not working any ideas? i've torn apart both units on each side of the handle bars! no problems that i saw. i gave them some grease and closed them back up. i'm tracking wires down for the horn but there are only 2. and those 2 are in fact connected to the switch correctly. anyone? beuller? beuller?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the bike did tip over this morning. i'm wondering if that is not a coincidence that the bank angle sensor is using the same "g" wire as the horn is. and that same "g" wire runs into the instrument cluster (i am assuming this "g" wire is a ground?" can anyone verify this. just to make sure my eyes aren't bugging out on me. i wonder if i splice into the "g" wire from the instrument cluster, and ground it out. if that may fix the problem? or possibly jump around the bank angle sensor? remember it did tip this morning. but it was still working after that. the tipping happened at around 10 am. but the gauge didn't go out until i was hard braking to avoid the old lady at about 6 pm. it's a thought what do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
hmm... worth a shot...
I'm drawing a blank right now..
Did you pull the fuses out, and check each one for continuity?
Sometimes you can get a false reading, with them still in.
Let us know what you find, if you fix it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
the bike did tip over this morning. i'm wondering if that is not a coincidence that the bank angle sensor is using the same "g" wire as the horn is. and that same "g" wire runs into the instrument cluster (i am assuming this "g" wire is a ground?" can anyone verify this. just to make sure my eyes aren't bugging out on me. i wonder if i splice into the "g" wire from the instrument cluster, and ground it out. if that may fix the problem? or possibly jump around the bank angle sensor? remember it did tip this morning. but it was still working after that. the tipping happened at around 10 am. but the gauge didn't go out until i was hard braking to avoid the old lady at about 6 pm. it's a thought what do you guys think about it?
G is usually green, and usually ground, IIRC...

Seems from what I've heard, it's all or nothing, when the tip over sensor is, or has a problem. IE the bike wil not run, at all.
Haven't had to trigger or reset mine, but I saw on a Yamaha, that all you do to reset, is switch the kill switch off and back on.
you could try it, on yours and see what happens, it may do nothing, but could reset something else...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i only physically inspected them. they looked very clean. on top of that. the singals and high beams are showing on the LCD display. the only things that aren't working are the tach and the LCD itself. i'm wodering if it isn't broken! but it can't be. the horn doesn't work either. i cannot buy that being a coincidence! i'm going to splice the green wire tomorrow morning and ground it out and see what happens.....hell why not!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Before I started hacking wires, and shorting stuff I don't truly know about, I'd grab a voltmeter and start from the battery, and work forward.
Sounds like you can read the schematic, so clip your black lead to the neg side of the batt, and find where you lose voltage with the red lead.
Take your time with it...
It's gotta be something simple...

What mods have been done electrically in the past? flushmount lights? electronic gizmos? pc3? any wire splicing done anywhere, that could have gotten wet and corroded? anything questionable about the harness, in appearence?

·
Registered
159 Posts
it's underneath the bracket, that the rear of the tank bolts to, underneath the front edge of the seat. it's there along with one or maybe 2 relays hanging off the side of it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flush mount turn signals front and rear but those have been on for awhile. more closely looking at the diagram. it seems to me that the bl/br wire coming from the switch itself is most likely the culprit. low do me a favor and trace that wire coming up from the switch into the LCD display. and when is branches to the right. it goes straight into the fuse box. see what i'm saying? hmm. i wonder.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had the same problem just after installing some new turn signals. A brush of the ground with the one of the other wires instantly blew the fuse to the odo/speedo/tach/horn/etc. I would look around for a loose wire making contact to ground. For some reason it always blew the cluster fuse for me (went through 3 fuses before i got the problem fixed)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts