Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced my clutch cable, and upon doing so, it is almost at the adjustment limits out of the box.

It seems even more so then the one I replaced.
My clutch doesnt slip, but it this a sign that my clutch is on its way out?

I have about 14k on the factory clutch.
The lever adjustment is set that I have about 3/4-1" play at the lever tip before any engagement.

Any suggestions?
If replacement is nessecary, are Honda parts the best way to go?

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Jay said:
It seems even more so then the one I replaced.
Thanks, Jay
What seems even more so?

Sure its the right cable? Did you adjust it at the engine side 1st and at the lever 2nd?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
The manual says the free play should be between 3/8" - 13/16" when measured at the tip. Yours doesn't sound like it's that far out of spec...if at all depending on how you measure it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am sure its the correct cable, and I did adjust the engine side.

That said, I will have to take another look at the lever adjustment.
I maybe close, but I can be it in to be more on spec with RR's findings.

Red Rider said:
The manual says the free play should be between 3/8" - 13/16" when measured at the tip. Yours doesn't sound like it's that far out of spec...if at all depending on how you measure it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couple of dumbass questions:

(1) when you say you replaced "a" clutch - are you talking about the friction pads ? and springs ?

(2) if the "disengage point" is the point at which the engine starts to rev higher when you pull the clutch lever - and the "engage point" is the point that the engine bogs when you release the lever. What effects the distance between those 2 points, other than the friction pad size ?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
He said the clutch cable.

Wat you need is some freeplay when the clutch is released. Rule of theum, as long as it has freeplay when the bars are locked left to right and when its cold or hot its ok. If you move the bars to one side and you lose the freeplay, check cable routing, if its ok, more freeplay then. If it's ok cold but tightens up when hot, more freeplay, you don't need a tape measure to set that.

What you are doing is making sure you have proper engagement, if there is zero (or less) freeplay when released the clutch will slip. On the other hand if you have excessive freeplay the clutch may not disengage fully (hard shifting, bike creeps forward stopped at a light etc. As long as you can satisfy both requirements you can adjust the lever within that range to suit you, your hand size etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im curious sense where on the cluth questions my bike when turned on starts in nuetral but when i hold cluth and put in first and stauls out but when the bikes off and i have it in first gear i hold the cluth it rolls and when i release it stops so the bikes cluth and tightend right cuz it works when its off but doesnt when the bikes running please help me out i have tried to think and cant think of anything i dont kno how to check if someone replies so please email me [email protected] thank you so muchhh :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
im curious sense where on the cluth questions my bike when turned on starts in nuetral but when i hold cluth and put in first and stauls out but when the bikes off and i have it in first gear i hold the cluth it rolls and when i release it stops so the bikes cluth and tightend right cuz it works when its off but doesnt when the bikes running please help me out i have tried to think and cant think of anything i dont kno how to check if someone replies so please email me [email protected] thank you so muchhh :)

im having this same problem with my 900rr it just started tonight while i was riding in a xmas parade but on the way there it was fine any clue what it is. you can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
355 Posts
Pulled apart my clutch at around 35k miles. everything was well within spec, probably 60 passes at the strip and who know what from the first two owners. My problem was the cable as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts