Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,we all know how handy and realtively spacefull is the trunk space on our 929.I use it all the time,so since i got my undertail that relocated the lock underneath the bike,it made my life dificult...especialy in night,you have to kneel and ge the key under there...its also dirty from the road all the time.
So i made it electronic.I used a cheap actuator motor (the ones they sell to make your car power lock),some wire (from bicycle brake) and a push button.Thats all....they shouldnt cost more than 30$.
I also wired it so that it only works when you turn the key on the on possition,thus beeing very safe.Also if you happen to have an alarm with a start engine feature,you can easily wire that up so it pops your seat from the r/c!!
It works great,the actuator speed is damn fast,it takes a split second and the seat pops of!Looks cool.
Made a litle video on how it works YouTube - CBR 929 elctronic trunc release
but if someone is more interested i could take some better photos and explain it better.
Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
922 Posts
sounds like a really good idea. :clap: I'm going to take a look at the vid when I get out of work today.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
thats pretty nice. much better than my finger through the hole in the undertail method.

·
Registered
159 Posts
this is awesome! do tell how you went about it.. parts used, where to find em' etc. You're onto something! It looks like a nice clean install as well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad you like it...tomorow i will take some good photos and write a smal write up.
Its a fairly clean install,you cant really see anything even in the trunk.
The only problem was to find a good route and angle of the cable as to be able to pull the lock.
And forgot to say that the key lock also works normaly...if something fails.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After relocating my license plate over my trunk lock, I would love to do this mod. Currently my plate is hinged so I can still get to the lock, but this would be even better!
Awesome job!
Thanks for posting it up!

J

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok,so heres a small walk through...(forgive my english..im greek:smilebig: )

Things needed are
1) Car power door actuator (may work with actuators for car trunks) cost 10-20$ on ebay.
2) Some wire from a bicycle shop with its tubing (the ones used for the brakes on bicycles) cost 1-2$
3) A small push button cost from 1$+

Ok,first thing,you need to fit the actuator.I found the best place to be in the bottom end of the trunk,where the tools were supposed to go.You must brake alitle of the plastic that is there to hold the toolkit.And just screw the actuator down with 2 lonk screws,i used also some silicone to just make more sturdy (it was tight already)

Next thing you must connect one end of the cable with the lock,i just tightened it arround and used some good electrical tape to tie it arround.try it with your hand to see if its good and strong \

at that point,you fit the tubing on the cable,i used that so i dont have a drag when pulling on plastics etc.
After that,we must route the cable with the tubing as it shows in the photo

it actualy gow in the inside of the plastic cowl,i just threw it in,and when it get in the other and,i used a mgnet to grab it out,really easy.
new photo

Next thing is to connect it the cable to the actuator,just see how i route it the photo and do it like that,realy easy,just make it tight,if it has a lot of slack,obviously the actuator wont be able to pull it.

At that point you can try it by just conectin the actuator leads on the batery instantly,it should easily and instantly pull the cable and pop the trunk.

The only thing left is to wire the elctrical stuff...easy thing!
My wiring will be connected that way,so that it only works when you have your key on the on possition (if you dont want it that way...its even easier)
Wire the negative lead directly from the actuator to the - battery poll.
Get a piece of cable,open the fuses cap,take the first fuse out (20amp lights) stick the wire in (touching the metal sides) and the push in the fuse so that it locks it nice and tigh.
Now just get your push button,(it should have 2 connectors) and just connect the possitive cable directly from the actuator to the one side,and the cable from the fuse box to the other side.Turn your key on,push the button (dont forget your cell phone on the seat..trust me) is should pop right off.
Basic wiring scheme to get the idea

Thats it....holpe that was readable.....!! i also uploaded another video on youtube that shows the actuator in use and its better quality,check it out.
YouTube - 929 lectronic trunk 2

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
that's well cool!

I have a habit of leaving the key in the lock and walking off leaving the bike so this will be great for me (and my insurers!! :rotfl: )

·
Registered
347 Posts
sick, im printing this out and keeping it in a folder, deff doing this, my undertail won't have a lock plus i lost my original lock a long time ago.
Thanks again your the best!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have been truely inspired by this, and have been looking into it most of the day. I have found a BMW actuator that looks like it could be fitted under the boot/seat catch itself thus doing away with the need for a cable and won't take up and space in the boot itself. I'm getting two from a scrap car tomorrow and will let you all know how I get on.........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Been down the scrap yard today otherwise known as dads back garden and got all the bits i need , just one question Why didn't I think of this myself ?. This has got to be one of the best ideas I've seen for ages top marks and well done for the photos and instructions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How did you secure the push button though mate ?

Did you attach it to the subframe or just zip tie it on ?

And any chance of a diagram re where you routed the cable as the pics are kinda hard to make out on my screen.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts