Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently removed the fairings from my 929 in order to give the engine a good clean. I've used both Castrol Greentec Motorcycle Cleaner and AutoGlym Motorcycle Cleaner on the engine picture attached, and yet it is still very furred looking as in the picture. Anyone got any ideas as to how to remove the furring and make it look better?

Also, in the other attached picture, the engine has a slight weep out of where the black cable meets the connector/engine. Can anyone tell me what that is called (I forget) please? I've been told it's negligible, is that the case?

Many thanks, TheGSL.

(Discovered that this site really doesn't work properly with ad blockers.)

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cam sensor has an o ring on it, depending on what that crud is on there is try a grease removing solvent or brush maybe,

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
Those engines were painted, is it the paint coming off? If the steam doesn't work you might need to tear it down completely and repaint it. A brush or other chemicals may leave you with an unprotected aluminum which will then begin to corrode/look messy all over again. I've painted 2 older 900's and they came out awesome. The 93 is going on 3 years painted this year:

The 93 in Tianium Silver Blue:

And the 99, in "Aluminum", which is a good match for what the 929' and 954's were colored:

It really wasn't as stressful as I would have thought. I wire brushed the entire complete engine (masking off where needed) and then a good VHT Primer, and VHT color, with a VHT clear to finish. It seems pretty durable, and just look like a brand new engines, even at 18 and 24 years old. You would probably be surprised how easy it really is. It's not the painting that's tough, it's the PREP. Just time consuming to get a great end result.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who replied, apologies, I have been away and this is the first time I have had to update the link.

Ian, I really don't have the time or skill to remove an engine, I admit yours look phenomenal. Maybe one day when the kids are grown up ... ;-)

I will try the alloy cleaner suggestion I think when I take the fairings off again.

The wire where the weep is, did someone say the cam sensor or the like?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yep, cam sensor. It's an easy fix , just one bolt and a $2 o ring, been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied, apologies, I have been away and this is the first time I have had to update the link.

Ian, I really don't have the time or skill to remove an engine, I admit yours look phenomenal. Maybe one day when the kids are grown up ... ;-)

I will try the alloy cleaner suggestion I think when I take the fairings off again.

The wire where the weep is, did someone say the cam sensor or the like?

Thanks again.
Or better yet, just find a way to leave your bike in front of Ian's front door. Don't ring the bell or nothing just leave it. Come back in a few days and tell him that you accidently parked it there. You'll get back a bike with all your hearts desire done.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
Or better yet, just find a way to leave your bike in front of Ian's front door. Don't ring the bell or nothing just leave it. Come back in a few days and tell him that you accidently parked it there. You'll get back a bike with all your hearts desire done.
To make sure he ( @IanDoohan ) finds it, buy some OE parts and drop them on the ground like breadcrumbs and he will follow them to the bike. This way you can just park it in the shed.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

But true ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts