Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this? I went to look at a bike today and when I took it for a test ride it felt great except that between 10-11k rpm it sounded like the valves were going crazy or something. It disappeared below and above that though. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
stegen said:
Stegen, that is the funniest damn response I've read here in a long time! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Garbanzo, If you're hearing loud rattles at 11,000 (or higher :eek: ) you got problems. It must be awfully loud to hear it at those revs, too.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
It could very well be the cam chain. It could be several other things as well, but I would check out the tensioner first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
abtech said:
It could very well be the cam chain. It could be several other things as well, but I would check out the tensioner first.
I know that the CCT was a common problem on the 6, so I was wondering if that was the issue too... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I picked up a 954 today. It had the same exact sound at the exact same rpm. I am thinking it is the htev. It starts exactly at 9750 and ends exactly at 11k. The 954 only has 6k miles on it and is all completely stock (reflectors and all) and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is also still under the honda extended warranty so I am thinking of taking it up there and seeing what they say. I am not too worried about it because I can't imagine two bikes having the exact same sound unless it is inherent to the engine.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! As you can probably guess, it's pretty hard to diagnose sounds over the internet. The 929/954's do make some some "noises"...typically nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. The thing is cherry. I love it already. I am buying a damper later today so it will ship out first thing tomorrow. Ya, the sound doesn't worry me too much. I have heard valvetrain noises before and this isn't it, it sounds like a resonance of something because it comes on and leaves so suddenly. I can't wait to get the damper on this thing and really see what it is made of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts