Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the front forks/shocks off an '01 929 would fit an '02 954rr? My forks seem to be leaking and instead of paying 2 bills to have them rebuilt (or buy new ones altogether), I was thinking of swapping them out instead with the 929 forks. My buddy has a set of 929 forks that's barely been used (around 1.5k miles) before switching them to Ohlins. He was going to give them to me and since money is a bit tight right now, I wanted to get some advice from everyone and find out if this was at all possible. If it is, would there be any drawbacks to using them versus ones designed specifically for the 954? Are the 929 forks the same as the 954? Would it be advisable to just have my existing ones rebuilt? Any advice, opinions or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and looking forward to responses.

·
Registered
720 Posts
929 forks will fit you 954, but I have read and heard that the stock 929 springs are even weaker than the stock 954 springs. Depending on your riding style you could live with it or it will get you hurt. A 50/50 toss up.

IMHO I would just fork out the bills to upgrade your 954 forks. You could always ride around on the 929 forks till the 954 forks get worked on.

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick. I usually do a lot of canyon riding and I guess forking out the money to have my existing 954 forks worked wouldn't be so bad. What kind of upgrade would you suggest for my 954 forks?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
For free, the 929 forks will work fine. Both have crappy springs. The preload adjuster in the 929 fork is a little better as it shows lines, easy to know where you are.

It'd be more than a couple hundred bucks, but Dan Kyle (link up top) does a very nice job reworking stock forks. The work is $330, and springs add $100 to that. $430 is not chump change, but they will be much better. The main problem is that good forks will show how bad your stock shock sucks...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick. I usually do a lot of canyon riding and I guess forking out the money to have my existing 954 forks worked wouldn't be so bad. What kind of upgrade would you suggest for my 954 forks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts