Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an insurance write-off 954. It's not in bad shape and I don't know why it was branded non-repairable but I bought it anyway. There is a 929 frame for sale that's reasonably priced and I was wondering if everything from the 954 would bolt up to it. Ron Ayers Motorsports microfiche says that the part #s for both frames are the same.
Any input would be appreciated since I'm new to this bike. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
frames should be identical. However, you should really replace the frame with a 954 frame since that will be what it shows on your title

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I recently bought an insurance write-off 954. It's not in bad shape and I don't know why it was branded non-repairable but I bought it anyway. There is a 929 frame for sale that's reasonably priced and I was wondering if everything from the 954 would bolt up to it. Ron Ayers Motorsports microfiche says that the part #s for both frames are the same.
Any input would be appreciated since I'm new to this bike. Thanks,

Definately not the same.
You would need the rear subframe, tail fairing and fuel tank as well - and the result would be you would be licencing it as a 929, not a 954.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I thought the two frames should be the same since they are the same part #. To me it doesn't matter if it's registered as a 929 or a 954. All I want to do is ride it on the road. I don't quite understand there Bladeracer. Are you saying I would need the subframe, tail fairing and fuel tank from a 929 because those parts from my 954 won't bolt up to a 929 frame? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks, I thought the two frames should be the same since they are the same part #. To me it doesn't matter if it's registered as a 929 or a 954. All I want to do is ride it on the road. I don't quite understand there Bladeracer. Are you saying I would need the subframe, tail fairing and fuel tank from a 929 because those parts from my 954 won't bolt up to a 929 frame? Thanks.

The part numbers are not the same.
929 - 50100-MCJ-670
954 - 50100-MCJ-L00ZA
The tanks and subframes mount differently to the frames, the frames are _very_ different.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Definately not the same.
You would need the rear subframe, tail fairing and fuel tank as well - and the result would be you would be licencing it as a 929, not a 954.
The part numbers are not the same.
929 - 50100-MCJ-670
954 - 50100-MCJ-L00ZA
The tanks and subframes mount differently to the frames, the frames are _very_ different.
interesting. I had always been told differently. In this case, I'd definitely just get a 954 frame. Looks newer and would be cheaper in the long run over buying everything needed for the 929 frame

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help bladeracer.
I just checked again on the microfiches at Ron Ayers Motorsports.com
Looking at the fiche for a 2000 CBR900RR, it has 2 frames listed with both part #s that you mention. Then looking at the fiche for a 2003 CBR900RR it has 4 frames listed, 2 with the part #s you mention and 2 different ones. It's a little confusing. I guess I'll ask at a Honda dealer to see if they know why there are different part#s for the same bikes in the same year. I'd get a 954 frame no problem but it's just that the 929 is available locally and quite cheap and it could be easily registered (and still is). Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks for your help bladeracer.
I just checked again on the microfiches at Ron Ayers Motorsports.com
Looking at the fiche for a 2000 CBR900RR, it has 2 frames listed with both part #s that you mention. Then looking at the fiche for a 2003 CBR900RR it has 4 frames listed, 2 with the part #s you mention and 2 different ones. It's a little confusing. I guess I'll ask at a Honda dealer to see if they know why there are different part#s for the same bikes in the same year. I'd get a 954 frame no problem but it's just that the 929 is available locally and quite cheap and it could be easily registered (and still is). Thanks again.

Ron Ayres have a lot of these "errors" in their listings which is why I stopped using them when posting references to help people.
If you already know the parts are different then it's easy enough to see which are 929 parts and which are 954 parts.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Ron Ayres have a lot of these "errors" in their listings
Glad to hear I am not the only one. On two completely different occasions I had problems with this. The last time the guy on the phone actually stated I must have mistaking the year of my bike, and told me to "check the stamp on the frame" when I got home.:rolleyes: They have great prices but I double check any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at a picture of a 929 and a 954 side by side I see what you mean. Where the lower leg of the subframe mounts to the main frame it IS different. Better luck next time. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Bladeracer...I have a 929 and blew the motor a while back...replaced it with a 954...I like the look of the 954 better...how hard is it to switch the tail and head fairings to make it look like an "actual" 954? Does the subframing need to be changed?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Looking at a picture of a 929 and a 954 side by side I see what you mean. Where the lower leg of the subframe mounts to the main frame it IS different. Better luck next time. Thanks for your help.

The upper subframe mounts are also different.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
@Bladeracer...I have a 929 and blew the motor a while back...replaced it with a 954...I like the look of the 954 better...how hard is it to switch the tail and head fairings to make it look like an "actual" 954? Does the subframing need to be changed?

The front fairing is fairly straightforward but you will also need the headlight. It does require the complete 954 fairing as the panels are not interchangeable.
The tail is generally done by cutting up both 929 and 954 subframes and welding the 954 frame onto the 929 mounts to be able to fit it to the 929 frame.
The 954 also has an LED tail light which will require some wiring work to fit.
The tanks mount very differently to the frames so you will have to fabricate the rear tank mount.
To look like a 954 will also require a swingarm swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts