Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can any one shed any light please. i have a 929 that jumps out of 1st at hi revs and sometimes pull its self into 2nd. i have been told 1st gear is nackered, is thus true? does annone know how to fix? and does anyone have a gear box or gears? cheers
:crying:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Nonsense! you simply are either mis-shifting (not lifting the shift hard enough in gear) or one of your shift forks is worn or bent... this is a common problem on 929/954s

Here's the how to I wrote on how to assess your shift forks, replace them, inspect the transmission, and install the fix: a Factory pro shift kit... solves the problem.

GL!
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...ift-kit-install-clutch-tranny-assessment.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took the bike out the other day and its really bad jumping out of 1st ,2nd and 3rd. jumping from 1st - 2nd. ordered a complete gear box. do i have to completely take the engine to bits?

·
Registered
81 Posts

It does seem odd that 1st, 2nd and 3rd are all jumping out of gear, if you follow what Matt's saying then this indicates that all 3 shift forks are bent. A Factory Pro kit won't fix anything, this simply gives a more positive detent for the selector drum

Providing your happy that it isn't your gearchange technique or a linkage problem that's causing the problems then you need to do some stripping.

It's easy enough to pop the sump and clutch casing off to have the shift forks out but if they seem straight and there's any damage like this

then you need to do an engine strip (even just taking the sump off and finding some bits of swarf as in my pics would indicate that you need to do an engine strip) .

The fork damage indicates dog wear, the worn dogs ride over the adjacent engaging gear and puts force on the selector fork causing the damage. If you find wear as above then all you can do is strip the engine.

GG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts