Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am planning on changing the gearing on my bike. I'm finding that I really don't need to keep the current tall gearing since during trackdays, I can't get the bike up to its top speed. Therefore, I thought I could sacrifice top end for better drive out of turns. Anyway, what do you all recommend? I've heard people do different things.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I like 15/44 and the stock chain will fit no problem. Many folks have gone to 15/45 also with good results. Stock chain may still fit with that combo,too, not sure. Either one of those will give you more pull out of the corners.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went with a 110-link 520 chain and a 15/45 combo. I'd NEVER ride the bike with the stock 16/43 gearing again, it's so much better now. If anything, I'd consider 15/46, as I have plenty of adjustment left for an extra tooth out back. As it stands, my corrected top speed is 159.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I run a 520 15/44 gearing right now, you really can't go wrong with this setup. I'm going to test out the 520 15/45 gearing on the next trackday at Firebird East. I'll post up how I like it and if there is any difference at all. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run 15 / 43.......still get the max top speed while increasing accelleration. Any drop in top speed from gearing is made up in the bike now being able to hit redline in 6th.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was considering doing 15/45 as well and am wondering where the gearing will be. Where will 1st and second gear top out because the way I see it doing 80 in 1st gear is no fun. I'm looking for around 50 mph in 1st and 90 in second. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
252 Posts
520 15/45 here.. I wouldn't trade it for the world... Well, maybe not the world but an new 1RR might change my mind... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
117 Posts
2K1/Erion said:
I was considering doing 15/45 as well and am wondering where the gearing will be. Where will 1st and second gear top out because the way I see it doing 80 in 1st gear is no fun. I'm looking for around 50 mph in 1st and 90 in second. Any recommendations?

Don't know about 1st, but on the rev limiter (~12200 rpm) in 2nd, she's showing 98 mph.
15/45, 520, SpeedoHealer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine is 15/45 also. I like it. Pulls great, just be carefull in first if you have any other mods done. That first gear can be a doosey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts