Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My cbr 929 -00 gives a knocking sound when i quickly rev it from idle.. Is it supposed to be like this or is something broken?

One of my thoughts is that its the came chain that makes the noise?..

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Hey sep, welcome to the .org! :cheers: I can't help you regarding your engine problem, but it's probably something very minor. Cam chain tensioner could very well be it. Someone on here will no doubt chime in and offer you suggestions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sep420 said:
Hi!

My cbr 929 -00 gives a knocking sound when i quickly rev it from idle.. Is it supposed to be like this or is something broken?

One of my thoughts is that its the came chain that makes the noise?..
Hey Sep420,

what kind of noise is it ?, low down heavy knock or lighter metallic one ?

Sorry, no technical answer here - just another opinion / perspective...

I think I know the sort of noise you mean because my 929 makes a kinda single knock type of noise if I blip the throttle from idle...I've never worried about it because that's the only time I hear anything like it - certainly never hear it when out riding or anything. I guess there's a fair bit of inertia in the engine and with FI the throttle response is so instance (not like the old vacuum carbies) so it's gotta make some kind of noise as everything rushes to get up to speed...

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, the sound appears just when i crank the throttle, only once.. It doesnt appear if i idle at a little higher rpm, say 2000 and crank it.. only from idle.. No other strange sounds around 3500 and 7000 where the exhaust valve moves, so i dont think its related to that..

Its not metallic, more low freq.. Dont know how to explain.. kinda like if you tap the engine case with a wooden pole or something :D

Go out and try it :) My guess is its supposed to be like that, but since the 929 is pretty new too me i wanted to check if others have the same sound..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pull the clucth and blip the throttle.. you will notice it's not there.. I think it's the Clutch basket where the plates slam into it..

·
Registered
172 Posts
sep420 said:
Its not metallic, more low freq.. Dont know how to explain.. kinda like if you tap the engine case with a wooden pole or something :D

QUOTE]

Both of my 929's made the same noise.......very normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have 2 929 blades, one with only 4000m and the other with 22000.. the 1st has been loved the other has been abused .. but still loved - honest!!

The 4k one has virtually no clutch rattle/noise at idle or when rev'd at standstill, but... does have very bad piston slap/rattle.. this is noticed when accelerating hard.... between 3k to 5.5 k revs the engine produces a rattly sound like it's loose, and the camshaft is not hitting the shims properly, very pronounced and I can't stand it!!

The 22K one has a lotof clutch rattle at standstill but very little piston slap!! so when throttling it it fells quieter and newer than the 4k one.. wierd..

I just hope it is piston slap and not a worn cam belt tensioner!!

Clutch Rattle is normal, and there is no cure short of a new clutch basket.. and that is an expensive item to replace!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts