Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a custom exhaust for my 01 929rr and i need to run a baffled pipe right where the flapper part is, if i leave it in i wont have room for it. does anyone know what this does and what will be the effects of removing it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
im building a custom exhaust for my 01 929rr and i need to run a baffled pipe right where the flapper part is, if i leave it in i wont have room for it. does anyone know what this does and what will be the effects of removing it?
It's not a flapper, it's the HTEV.
It boosts midrange so you'll lose some midrange if you remove it.
It sounds like you're doing a very short muffler though and that will likely cost you even more midrange.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crappy, thanks tho, im doing a megaphone out of the side but i dont want to run it straight pipe, i don't want it to be ear peircing loud so im trying to fit in some 1 1/2" harly davidson baffled pipes between the "HTEV" and the bend to the megaphone but it if i leave that in it leaves me about 10" to weld up a 4 into one pipe and try to fit some baffled pipe before the bend... not gonna happen, is there a way to accomidate removing that? power commander or something?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
crappy, thanks tho, im doing a megaphone out of the side but i dont want to run it straight pipe, i don't want it to be ear peircing loud so im trying to fit in some 1 1/2" harly davidson baffled pipes between the "HTEV" and the bend to the megaphone but it if i leave that in it leaves me about 10" to weld up a 4 into one pipe and try to fit some baffled pipe before the bend... not gonna happen, is there a way to accomidate removing that? power commander or something?

You'll need a PC anyway but it'll certainly help with good custom mapping.
I'd just remove the HTEV. It's a 900cc engine so it's got more than enough midrange anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kinda but not really, im trying to accomplise the look of the r6's and the gsxr with nothing showing but the slash cut tip but theres so little room to work if i leave the HTEV, i hate obnociousely loud bikes and i like to hear myself think while im riding so im trying to fab up some sort of silincer/baffle before the bend where it would come out of the plastics

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
kinda but not really, im trying to accomplise the look of the r6's and the gsxr with nothing showing but the slash cut tip but theres so little room to work if i leave the HTEV, i hate obnociousely loud bikes and i like to hear myself think while im riding so im trying to fab up some sort of silincer/baffle before the bend where it would come out of the plastics
Have you considered getting an R6 or GSXR muffler and modifying that to fit?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was my original plan but i looked at some microfiches of both and they look much to big to try to fit in under and around the oil pan, if you seem to think a good mapping will accomidate the removal of that HTEV then thats probably what im going to do, that will leave me enough room to run the 4 into 2 pipe right of the header, 2 baffle pipes aprox 8"each side by side then a 2 into one pipe right before the bend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts