·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 929 headlights are not working both low/brights. I have so far:

checked/replaced the fuse - fine
inspected the bulb filaments through the headlight - fine
Checked the voltage at the fuse and got nothing

Is there anyone else who has had an issue with their headlights not working. Bike starts and runs like a champ. Brake, turn, and running lights all work.

Just wanted to get some input before I just started tearing into it.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Electrical problems can be a pain. If you have the manual its not too bad. Just start at the switch, (since all other lights work) and work your way to the headlight. You might also check the hi/low switch to see if you getting power to it. Its easy to get to and may be your problem. Wires can be pulled loose there pretty easily.

good luck!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've run into this exact thing. Fuse was fine, bulbs were fine. No low or high beams and no dash high beam indicator.

Check your starter button. Mine had gunk/dirt in it and it wasn't fully releasing. The bike turns off the headlight as it fires the starter so if the button doesn't fully release, the headlight doesn't come back on.

Look at the bottom of the switch housing. There is a little plastic piece sticking down. Spray some contact cleaner or WD40 in it if you find that to be the problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EatnAsphalt said:
I've run into this exact thing. Fuse was fine, bulbs were fine. No low or high beams and no dash high beam indicator.

Check your starter button. Mine had gunk/dirt in it and it wasn't fully releasing. The bike turns off the headlight as it fires the starter so if the button doesn't fully release, the headlight doesn't come back on.

Look at the bottom of the switch housing. There is a little plastic piece sticking down. Spray some contact cleaner or WD40 in it if you find that to be the problem.
It appears that the starter switch is coming all the way back out, but I will definately check it out for sure. Thanks I would have never thought of this on my own. So, when yours had this issue externally did it look like it was coming out all the way. Was it just internal?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sprayed some WD in the switch, and worked it good but it is still not working. I guess it is something else. There is a headlight relay behind the speedo that I'll look at next.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nomad13RR said:
I sprayed some WD in the switch, and worked it good but it is still not working. I guess it is something else. There is a headlight relay behind the speedo that I'll look at next.
There are also some wires soldered inside the starter switch assembly on the handlebar that give the signal from the starter button to cut out the lights, if the solder broke and the wires are disconnected it might not allow the lights to come on. One of the four wires that are soldered on my 929 broke and the lights failed to work. Just take the right side starter assembly apart by the brake lever and take a look, if four wires are soldered to the starter switch inside the assembly your good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had a similar problem last summer.

First question: Are you using stock bulbs, or imitation HID blue lights?

I run some High intensity bulbs in mine for the Blue/White look. Here's what happened:

Hot August day, lights quit, dash flickers, turn signals spaz out.

Traced it, using manual and fixed it quick.

Pull off fake air duct cover on right side of bike, in front of tank, below the throttle. (3 or 4, 5mm allen head bolts) Now follow the wiring harness from your cluster and headlights down the right side of the bike, and you should see a big GRAY connector (24-30 pins) The ground wire for EVERYTHING forward of this harness is Dark Green, about a 20 or 22 gauge wire. STUPID DESIGN!!! Mine was MELTED inside the connector
on both sides. I had to break some of the plastic on the connector to get the thing to separate. When it finally came apart, I had to clean the black carbon off the connectors and tighten them inside their sockets. Put it back together, and everyting worked.

Those aftermarket bulbs just draw a LOT of current through the ground circuit. I am splicing into the Green wire just forward of the connector towards the headlights, and running an extra 16 gauge wire, soldered in, back to the battery or maybe the frame, to give it some current carrying insurance.

I sell decent bulbs by the way, look great, last a long time, very reasonable current rating(aside from above story...) Have them in all my bikes and cars.
$30 a pair.

Jon

·
Registered
929 Posts
This was the problem I had after a couple years of running the aftermarket bulbs that Hard Racing sells.

NordicusMaximus said:

I run some High intensity bulbs in mine for the Blue/White look. Here's what happened:

Pull off fake air duct cover on right side of bike, in front of tank, below the throttle. (3 or 4, 5mm allen head bolts) Now follow the wiring harness from your cluster and headlights down the right side of the bike, and you should see a big GRAY connector (24-30 pins) The ground wire for EVERYTHING forward of this harness is Dark Green, about a 20 or 22 gauge wire. STUPID DESIGN!!! Mine was MELTED inside the connector
on both sides. I had to break some of the plastic on the connector to get the thing to separate. When it finally came apart, I had to clean the black carbon off the connectors and tighten them inside their sockets. Put it back together, and everyting worked.

Those aftermarket bulbs just draw a LOT of current through the ground circuit. I am splicing into the Green wire just forward of the connector towards the headlights, and running an extra 16 gauge wire, soldered in, back to the battery or maybe the frame, to give it some current carrying insurance.

I sell decent bulbs by the way, look great, last a long time, very reasonable current rating(aside from above story...) Have them in all my bikes and cars.
$30 a pair.

Jon

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I finally fixed the headlight issue. It was one of the joints in the starter swich button assembly being broken. Could not tell it was broken by just looking at it when I had it apart. Found out it was broken when testing with a multimeter.

THANKS!!! to everyone for the info :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for this thread. Long time member but never posted. I think this has helped me out a ton, I'm sure I'll be able to diagnose the problem now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
NordicusMaximus said:

$30 a pair.

Jon
I had the same ground connector melt and cause all sorts of problems. I cut it out and sodered all the wires together and retaped the harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi beems

ok my lights went out and i did all what you guys said still nouthing:rant: but i briged the light relay ( in front of the speed domitor) i have light's hi beem tho:hmm: .. any idea???? anyone :help:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could be the switch ...
Hopefully someone is still watching this thread since its 3 years old. I am having the same problem with my headlights

Anyway, what is this "switch" everyone is talking about? There is no power switch for the headlights, unless you are talking about the ignition switch, which is what turns on my headlights on my 2001 929. The only other switches are the hi-lo beam switch and the kill switch.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts