Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I hope this is not a repost. I have searched on here and found alot of headlight problems but none quite like this. My low beams work fine(middle light bulb). However, when I switch to high beams the left and right bulbs do not come on. Also I get no high beam indicator on dash panel. I have replaced bulbs, checked fuses, all my connnections and just about anything else I could think of. Taillights, brake lights, speedo and tach work fine. Has anybody heard of this problem or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Did you check the switch?

I know you said you checked everything you could think of and this is an obvious starting point so.... if nothing else, I bumped your thread back to the top. :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeap. Pull the two little screws on the switch and make sure that it's not jacked up with corrosion. Another thing you might check is to be SURE both bulbs just did not burn out. Any easy check is to pull the wire and see if you have current to the lamps *or* swap the low-beam plug to either/both of the highs and see if they ignite. It's not uncommon for both bulbs to burn out with days of each other.

Around here Hondas seem to suffer switchgear woes due to the moisture so it's common to pull them apart from time to time and re-grease the insides and clean any corrosion as required.

Good luck and post what you find and how you fix it so the next sod does not have to forge out into the wilderness.. :clap:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I took the switch apart and it seems to be free of corrosion. I can now get a high beam indicator on the dash display(which I had before the switch operation) but when I plug a light bulb in the high beam indicator goes out. :huh: Also, what exactly are the two little relay thingys behind the dash display(they each have a connecter going to them)? Thanks again in advance to any help.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
SORTAFAST said:
Alright, I took the switch apart and it seems to be free of corrosion. I can now get a high beam indicator on the dash display(which I had before the switch operation) but when I plug a light bulb in the high beam indicator goes out. :huh: Also, what exactly are the two little relay thingys behind the dash display(they each have a connecter going to them)? Thanks again in advance to any help.
one of them is the blinker relay not sure about the other. turn the blinkers on and put your ear down there to listen to the clicking noise, where its coming from is the blinker relay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a search and the other relay is a starter relay. I guess neither of these would have anything to do with my problem. Would a bad ground cause this problem and if so where do I look?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have been having an issue with my headlights since 01 on my 00 929.
When switching from low to high I loose my dash Highbean indicator and all three headlights.
Then they will come back on after 30sec-2minutes and stay on.
I have checked everything and even had the dealership I worked for check it out, we couldn't find anything wrong anywhere.
I rebuilt the switch and still the same thing.
I learned to live with it. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts