Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i was out riding my 2000 cbr929 last night, when the engine started to stutter and the lights and dash went very dim, but then all was ok again :confused:

so i turned around to go home, and found that puting HI beam on, my lights and dash light dimmed, and i lost sum engine power, (the engine ran rough)

on my way home it would cutt out then just as im about to stop, start running fine again, had to ride it for 30mils like this.

so today i checked the battery terminal was all tight,
then i rid it down to my garage, when i got there it died on me, and would not re-start. (turned over fine)

The battery has plenty of charge in it still.

So where would u start? i have checked the main 3 earth wires, and pulled all the connections off the main wiring harness no burnt pins, all cleen.

so i will check the R/R and falt codes in the morning,

to me it feels like a earth/wiring falt.

so if any of u can give me any pointers where to look next i would most appreciate it.

ps the bike is stock, 30000mils with HISS :leghump:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Another "Honda charging problems thread".

Test your battery terminals...make shure you have a better charge than 12.7, 12.6, if it drops when you multimeter it, then you have a charging problem, and could be a lot of things at that point, but stators, regulator rectifers, battery, loose wire somewhere....

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all, i was out riding my 2000 cbr929 last night, when the engine started to stutter and the lights and dash went very dim, but then all was ok again :confused:

so i turned around to go home, and found that puting HI beam on, my lights and dash light dimmed, and i lost sum engine power, (the engine ran rough)

on my way home it would cutt out then just as im about to stop, start running fine again, had to ride it for 30mils like this.

so today i checked the battery terminal was all tight,
then i rid it down to my garage, when i got there it died on me, and would not re-start. (turned over fine)

The battery has plenty of charge in it still.

So where would u start? i have checked the main 3 earth wires, and pulled all the connections off the main wiring harness no burnt pins, all cleen.

so i will check the R/R and falt codes in the morning,

to me it feels like a earth/wiring falt.

so if any of u can give me any pointers where to look next i would most appreciate it.

ps the bike is stock, 30000mils with HISS :leghump:

How many volts do you have across the battery - engine off, when you press the starter button, and engine running?
Have you checked the ground block inside the wiring harness to see if it's corroded or come apart?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I bet it's a short some where or a loose cable!!! that happened to me, it was just loose battery cables! when I would hit the gas it would short because of my Lbs shifting.:thumb::thumb:;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

me and my brother have spent most of the day sorting the falts, (he is a marine engineer/electrician)

The first thing was the fuel pump stoped priming, and no spark, with a falt code 14, "injector #3 falt".

he found out it was the loom connectors to the ECU not making a tight contact.

so sorted that, and the pump was priming!
but still had no spark, but by tuching/moving the wires next to the gray plug on the ecu we got a click from a relay, and a got a spark!!

so we pulled the gray ecu connector off, and about 6 of the pin clips had been push back/squash, so tomorow will go get sum new one's and im hoping it will work.

thank you for all the help you provided, i will update again in a day or 2 :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, i got the loom and connecters sorted, and it ran for 5 min's then no spark again, :thumbd:

but luckly a freind of mine has a 929, so we swoped ECU's, and guess what, my Ecu is dead!! :eek:

so i got a used 1 off the bay for £250 with 3 keys, (hiss), and all the lock's,

And now she is running proper again :)

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
For more than 5 minutes I'm guessing. :p

Glad to hear you're running again. That's not uncommon, but damn, it doesn't happen all that often. Having the pins buggered on the connector was a clue tho...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For more than 5 minutes I'm guessing. :p

Glad to hear you're running again. That's not uncommon, but damn, it doesn't happen all that often. Having the pins buggered on the connector was a clue tho...
Im just so happy to be back on the road!!, been out on it all day :evilaugh:

This morning i had a new set of battlax t30 with a 190/55 on the rear, and it flicks over so much easier than the 190/50 :thumb:

Just hoping they are better in the wet then the old sportmax tyres :O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts