Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I bought a 2000 CBR 929 RED/BLUE/WHITE. The bike needs a lot of TLC :)

Work I already did:

- Fairing bolt upgrade
- new oil pan ( old one was cracked near the drain bolt)
- front brake new seals and pads.

but now, I noticed a loud metal knock on the upper engine side, side of the rear brake. Near the air box.

I uploaded a YouTube movie, which clearly lets you hear the noise.

The longer the bike runs, and gets hotter, the less frequent the noise appears.

When cold, every 3 - 8 seconds.

When hot, above 85 degrees celcius its every 15 - 30seconds.

I don't notice the sound when riding, might be because the helmet/street is louder than the knocking sound.

I can not hear the noise when engine is revving 4k+, Might be because exhaust note is very loud.

My main suspects are the CCT, because of the CBR 929 CCT history. But the knocking should be louder/more frequent when rpm's rise, right?

Other suspect is fuel pressure, as the noise appears less frequent when engine temp rises.

I can check the CCT but the position of the CCT on a 929 RR is pretty hard to reach.

Hope you guys/girls can help me.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If it is the CCT it will disappear when the engine is revved. The CCT is nothing more than an auto-chain adjuster, these are known for making noise at idle when the system is not fully engaged. I have never heard one knock like that though. I would highly suggest getting it to a bike shop to have them check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be gone when I am revving hard to tell with all that noise and vibrations. Never noticed it while riding.

What would be the next thing on your suspect list if it is not the CCT?

·
Registered
596 Posts
something with the thermostat perhaps? a stuck spring maybe. or maybe the HTEV servo/cable is loose, or something else in the exhaust. maybe a baffle in the muffler rusted and fell off. or, you left a screw or a rock in the oil pan when you installed it.... just kidding on the last one.

·
Registered
596 Posts
thermostats have a spring to hold them closed, then once they warm up they get pushed open by a wax pellet (at least on cars) so if there were something wrong there, perhaps it is opening then snapping back shut? or something mechanically inside it that is binding. i am totally guessing here, reaching quite a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check the service manual to see how it works and what moving parts can misbehave. Thanks

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I was thinking a rod... but it's not consistent as it would be with a rod. Could be rockers, but again I would think this would be more consistent. Sounds like metal on metal which is never good... Rev it up just a little bit while parked, the CCT should kick in at almost anything above idle. Hell, it could just be a dead CCT chain hitting the cover...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A dead CCT chain hitting the cover? Then the engine would not run I guess?

Today I received a new CCT + gasket. But during installation I noticed a deteriorated fuel line which had to be replaced ASAP.

When I receive that new fuel line, I will try and see if the new CCT is able to fix the ticking noise. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
or it could of been a stunt bike before and part of the motor wasnt getting oil due to wheelies

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced CCT and knock is still present. I have not noticed rpm drops when he "knocks".
I looked into the oilpan and noticed a lot of metal "dust/grind".

I'm thinking broken cams or something wrong with the valves. The noise comes from the upper right side of the engine. Location of the cam chain,the cams and the valves.

I have no idea what to do next,without spending too much money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have found the cause of the problem:

Have ordered parts to fix it, was only the first disc that was broken.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, I think that will do it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dafu, if the broken clutch plate itself was the cause, seems like the sound would be different if clutch pulled in or not. You said "it does not go away when pulling the lever." hmmmmm Are all pieces of the clutch plate retrieved? If not, maybe a small chunk is randomly getting caught/hit by a spinning part. The pieces in your hand in the photo don't look like they would complete the full circle.

Can you see any marks on clutch or any moving part where it's making contact with something else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The old ones were retrieved, they were at the bottom of the oil pan. But at the time that I changed the oilcan, I thought it was pieces of a previously broken clutch of the previous owner. Because the bike shifted perfectly, I presumed the previous owner had replaced the clutch and that he did not take out the broken pieces out of the oil pan.

That was what I thought, but I was badly wrong. I should have checked the clutch friction discs immediately.

I did do the pull in lever thing before, but maybe bad timing but I heard the knocking immediately and stopped trying. Now, when I pull in the clutch, the noise stays away until I let the lever go.

Waiting for replacement friction disc now.

One more question, from what I can see in my CBR929 manual, the judder spring and judder spring seat are at the back of all 9 discs (nearest to the engine itself). When I opened my cbr929, they were the first discs, they sat between my lifter plate and my first (broken) friction disc. I'm guessing this was an error of the previous mechanic/owner?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts