Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it's been ages since I posted on forums, but now I need some help.

My 929 (that's in the family since 2003 now) is doing my head in.
It gets rarely ridden for the past few years, mostly to no time, and is in need of some good tlc as it feels like every time I decide to show it some attention it bites me in the ass.

Last summer it was (due to my neglect) bad quality fuel that separated into water in the bottom part of the tank requiring the pump to be backwards flushed, then reg/rec and battery. Stator is 2yrs old.

This year it ran absolutely fine in the garage all of winter. One fork seal developed a leak and the ignition barrell had bad contact.

Decided to get it in my buddys garage to do some service. Fork seals done, ignition switch cleaned with wd40, oil and filter done, valve lash inspected and within spec, timing chain and tensioner look good. Popped new spark plugs in and called the job a good one.

Fired her up and she runs like a peace of shit.

Sprayed some water on the headers and no2 from the left was cold. Pulled the plugs from left to right: no1 was black, no 2 and 3 looked like they never run and no 4 was paper white.

Cleaned the plugs, cleaned the coils as slight corrosion was visible inside the coils, tested all plugs and coils and all 4 have blue spark.

No cigar, still running on 3 and misfiring. Swapped coils round and put old plugs in. Same.

Pulled the injectors and fuel rail, cleaned them out and swapped no1 and no2 injectors. Same shit, no2 is cold.

Checked compression, all 4 within spec.

Checked the coil harness and all have continuity all the way back to ecu according to the manual. Checked fpr while priming, it's dry.

Checked that we haven't swapped tps and airbox sensor connectors, nope all good.

At my wits end here, good compression, new plugs, coils all spark, injectors all of them spray. Bike fires up at the touch of the button.

Test drove it, at low rpm it is barely driveable, feels like it drops no2 and no3 and runs on 2. Above 5k rpm sometimes it catches and tries to kill you, sometimes it just splutters.

What I don't get is it worked fine before we touched it.
Did anyone have anything similar? Have we fucked or disturbed something up?

Collective ground in the harness also checked and cleaned (orange connector).

Sorry for long post, I will try to upload 2 vids that I have on my phone.

Thanks to everyone who reads and responds 馃様馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is it warming up and running on 3

This is struggling on 2 at low rpms and catching on when I give it more gas.

Could it be that FPR is buggered but fuel hasnt started seeping out of it yet? Only under pressure? Or that fuel pump is struggling?

Mucho Gracias muchachos 馃榿

Premium Member
this is the kind of fault we all hate. don't know if you've solved it in the meantime but here's my take on it.
You've eliminated sparks as the issue, at least there ARE sparks on all cylinders. Spark timing is impossible to alter, unless you've got a Power commander with ignition timing capability.
compression is good, so no gross problems with valve timing.
The fact that the spark plugs are all different colours is significant. It indicates that fuelling is not good, you are obviously getting some fuel but maybe there is a partial blockage somewhere, maybe as a result of your backwards flushing? . Have you accidentally kinked the high pressure line to the fuel rail?
What's odd is that it seems you are getting different amounts of fuel to the different cylinders. Or it's not arriving at the right time...did you change injector leads?
Did you touch the camshafts? I guess not, but it's worth changing the cam position sensor for a known good one, they can go bad. I hope you get it fixed soon. Please let us know what the cause was.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is the kind of fault we all hate. don't know if you've solved it in the meantime but here's my take on it.
You've eliminated sparks as the issue, at least there ARE sparks on all cylinders. Spark timing is impossible to alter, unless you've got a Power commander with ignition timing capability.
compression is good, so no gross problems with valve timing.
The fact that the spark plugs are all different colours is significant. It indicates that fuelling is not good, you are obviously getting some fuel but maybe there is a partial blockage somewhere, maybe as a result of your backwards flushing? . Have you accidentally kinked the high pressure line to the fuel rail?
What's odd is that it seems you are getting different amounts of fuel to the different cylinders. Or it's not arriving at the right time...did you change injector leads?
Did you touch the camshafts? I guess not, but it's worth changing the cam position sensor for a known good one, they can go bad. I hope you get it fixed soon. Please let us know what the cause was.
Thanks for taking time and replying, really appreciate it!

Issue hasn't been resolved yet. Haven't had time unfortunatelly.
You may be on to something there, I will try cleaning the fuel rail again and checking fuel delivery hose 馃槉

Will reply for future reference when I/if I discover what the issue is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts