Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when riding my 929 it does'nt want to go into 6th gear...it's almost like it's stuck in 5th or something....and idea of what's going on and how to fix it? (It only happens once in awhile, like once a month)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess it's a dumb question

·
Registered
6 Posts
At least now I know I'm not the only one who has had this happen. Seems like the times mine has done it I was sort of lazily, mindlessly shifting into 6th. Don't have the problem if I shift quicker, it seems.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hey thought I would get my man to jump in here and help ya out.....he's been a mechanic for over 15yrs and has an idea of what it might be.

'Usually, when it up shifts through the lower gears fine and its one specific gear involved its usually a shift fork. Not very easy to get to but from what I understand it is accessable from just the oil pan. Don't quote me on that, I am not 100% positive but pretty sure you can access it from there. If your bike has a bunch of miles on it, it could be a shift fork bushing as well. What happens with the shift fork and bushing, is that they wear together and create a groove in the shift fork. Imagine rubbing a rock on a piece of wood, back and forth, back and forth and you get the idea of what I am talking about. Other typical problems are shift drums, once again normally isolated to high mileage bikes. But if it were a shift drum you would have a problem in all the gears both in up and down shifting. But here is the bad news, if the shift fork cannot be accessed from the bottom of the oil pan, it means you have to drop the motor and split the cases. Not for the faint of heart! Best advice take it in to an experienced mechanic to check and see if he can do it from the oil pan, unless you are able to drop it yourself and see. I am pretty positive it will be visible from the oil pan, its just the casting webs may cause an obstruction to getting the shift fork out. As a possible quick fix, use a 20-50W full synthetic oil and it should smooth out some of your shifting problems. If it doesn't, you know what your looking at. Hope I helped out a bit. Any other problems or questions just contact Alex and she'll let me know. Adam '

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts