Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my 929 up and running after a complete rebuild. Everything was taken apart and now I can't get the thing to turn over. I pulled the spark plugs and there's no spark. I can hear the engine turn over and the starter doing its thing just no spark.

All connections appear to be in order. I thought I might have had a bad ignition pulse generator so I installed a brand new one and nothing. Still no spark. I plugged in an extra engine kill switch and still nothing. I tested all of the coils and plugs; nothing.

There is appropriate power at the key ignition and there is 12.2v at the coils. But there is no spark. Any help is great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kickstand sensor hasn't been plugged in for awhile. But since the bike is in neutral it shoudnt be a factor. The bank angle sensor was working before but I will jump it to seeif that works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The kickstand sensor hasn't been plugged in for awhile. But since the bike is in neutral it shoudnt be a factor. The bank angle sensor was working before but I will jump it to seeif that works.
sorry i meant the nuetral indicator plug that is directly underneath the front sprocket. I accidentally ripped that out when I dropped my motor.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Get a digital multimeter with a 10 megohm impedance and perform these checks

Check at ECM 20v DC scale, Key on (ECM, Coil and Injector Power)
Pink - 9-10v
Black/White - Battery Voltage
Blue/Black - Battery Voltage
Yellow/White - Battery Voltage
Red/Blue - Battery Voltage
Red/Yellow - Battery Voltage
Pink/Yellow - Battery Voltage
Pink/Blue - Battery Voltage
Pink/Green - Battery Voltage
Pink/Black - Battery Voltage

Check at ECM 2v AC scale, key off (Ignition Pulse Generator and Cam Position Sensor)
Yellow - At least 0.7v
Grey - Unknown, may look for same amount as Yellow

Check at ECM for Continuity, Key off, No resistance (ECM, Safety Switch Ground)
Green - Ground
Green/White - Ground (In gear, kickstand up) Ground (In neutral, kickstand down)

Check at Fuel Pump Relay 20v DC scale, Key on (Fuel Pump Relay Power)
Brown/Black - Battery Voltage (may have to crank)
Black/White - Battery Voltage
Black/White - Battery Voltage (1)
Green - Battery Voltage (may have to crank) (2)
Splicing 1 and 2 bypasses the relay

Check at Fuel Pump 20v DC scale, Key on (Fuel Pump Power)
Brown - Battery Voltage (may have to crank)
Green - Battery Voltage (may have to crank)

Check at Fuel Pump for Continuity, No resistance (Fuel Pump Ground, Low Fuel Indicator Circuit)
Green - Ground
Brown/Black - Brown/Black at instrument cluster

Post results

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You're the man unfettered! I will try and do this either tonight or tomorrow work permitting.

Forgive my ignorance but when you say check ecm you mean check the back end of the connection clip when its all plugged in right? Where the wire meets the connection piece?

I have a multimeter but have very little experience. Thanks again!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You're the man unfettered! I will try and do this either tonight or tomorrow work permitting.

Forgive my ignorance but when you say check ecm you mean check the back end of the connection clip when its all plugged in right? Where the wire meets the connection piece?

I have a multimeter but have very little experience. Thanks again!
Yes.

If your meter does not have a 10 megohm impedance, do not try to do continuity checks from one circuit at the ECM to another. None of these checks requires you to do that though. Take special note of AC and DC scales or you will not get proper readings.

We all start at the bottom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks. I rebuilt the motor and did almost everything myself including paint so this has been a definit learning process. Ill let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this thread still active? Im having a similar problem. I just bought a 2001 929rr and when i first bought it i had no spark or fuel injector pulse. i poked around in the bike a little bit checked all the grounds, checked for resistance through all the signal and ground wires going to a from the coils and injectors and they all checked out okay. I did find that the wire to the cam pulse generator was frayed to the point where there was no connection about a inch to where it plugs into the harness so i fixed that and now i have a perfect injector pulse :thumb: but still no spark. anybody have any guesses? Unfettered, i checked the ignition pulse generator and the cam pulse sensor with the key off like you said for voltage and both of them come up with nothing. when i crank the engine with it connected it does register a little over 1 volt. i also plugged a light into the harness where the coils plug in and there's no signal. as of right now im drawing a blank :idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Is this thread still active? Im having a similar problem. I just bought a 2001 929rr and when i first bought it i had no spark or fuel injector pulse. i poked around in the bike a little bit checked all the grounds, checked for resistance through all the signal and ground wires going to a from the coils and injectors and they all checked out okay. I did find that the wire to the cam pulse generator was frayed to the point where there was no connection about a inch to where it plugs into the harness so i fixed that and now i have a perfect injector pulse :thumb: but still no spark. anybody have any guesses? Unfettered, i checked the ignition pulse generator and the cam pulse sensor with the key off like you said for voltage and both of them come up with nothing. when i crank the engine with it connected it does register a little over 1 volt. i also plugged a light into the harness where the coils plug in and there's no signal. as of right now im drawing a blank :idunno:

No error codes?
Tried bypassing the killswitch and bank angle sensor?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No error codes?
Tried bypassing the killswitch and bank angle sensor?
There is an error code for a MAP sensor because the tank is off, does that have to be plugged in to check for the spark? how do you bypass the bank angle sensor and the kill switch? i know where they are and i was going to try and bypass them i just dont know how to. does the kill switch only kill the spark or would it eliminate the fuel injectors also?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i bypassed tested the bank angle sensor and its working and i also bypassed the side stand switch and nothing. if the engine is turning over and not turning over when i move the kill switch accordingly does that mean its working correctly?

·
Registered
567 Posts
My fault, it was a typing mistake, I should have typed "Key on" for the IPG and CPS tests.

i bypassed tested the bank angle sensor and its working and i also bypassed the side stand switch and nothing. if the engine is turning over and not turning over when i move the kill switch accordingly does that mean its working correctly?
Yes, unless that connection on the diagram that leads to the engine stop relay is done within the switch and not in the wiring.

Have you tried hooking a timing light to each plug wire and shining the light in your hand to see that the coils are firing consistently? If not, I would suggest that. Although you can check for spark with just the plug, your eyes will pick up subtle variations in timing, or the intermittent lack thereof, much easier looking at a light flash.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is an error code for a MAP sensor because the tank is off, does that have to be plugged in to check for the spark? how do you bypass the bank angle sensor and the kill switch? i know where they are and i was going to try and bypass them i just dont know how to. does the kill switch only kill the spark or would it eliminate the fuel injectors also?
Unknown, although the MAP sensor would be used for dwell cycle on the injectors, thats not to say the ECM will function without it. Keep it hooked up.

So you verified power at the injectors with the key and stop switch on? If you have power, your bank angle sensor, engine stop relay and switch are working correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i have a quick question for everyone. my cbr 954 fireblade is having trouble. my #1 piston quit running and i need to change the plugs on it. can someone help me out and tell me where to find the plugs and how to get to them. i took all my ferrings off but cant find the plugs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unknown, although the MAP sensor would be used for dwell cycle on the injectors, thats not to say the ECM will function without it. Keep it hooked up.

So you verified power at the injectors with the key and stop switch on? If you have power, your bank angle sensor, engine stop relay and switch are working correctly.
Yeah i figured they were all okay but i checked them all out just to make sure and they all checked out okay. I verified the injectors pulse using a noid light that plugs into the harness and it pulsed a normal synchronized pattern. I also put a noid light in the coil harness connectors to see if those lit up and theres no signal going to those. does the ignition pulse generator supply the pulse to the ECM for the coils? or does the cam pulse generator? or both? Ive tested just about everything i possibly can with this multimeter to check for shorted wires/ faulty grounds.

Does anybody know how to test a faulty ignition pulse generator? when i looked at the wiring diagram it looks like its a resistor so i tested it for resistance with the key off and got .478 K Ohms. does that sound right?

Any input at this point in time would help guys. i have 2 computers for this thing too so i know its not the ECM. Im borderline ready to buy a wrecked one and just start swapping sensors...

Thanks for your help everyone

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah i figured they were all okay but i checked them all out just to make sure and they all checked out okay. I verified the injectors pulse using a noid light that plugs into the harness and it pulsed a normal synchronized pattern. I also put a noid light in the coil harness connectors to see if those lit up and theres no signal going to those. does the ignition pulse generator supply the pulse to the ECM for the coils? or does the cam pulse generator? or both? Ive tested just about everything i possibly can with this multimeter to check for shorted wires/ faulty grounds.
Yes it does. The IPG denotes position of the crank and with a little math, the pistons. So it is critical to spark timing.

The CPS does the same thing for the cams and valves, which the proper moment to inject fuel would be dependent on.

Does anybody know how to test a faulty ignition pulse generator? when i looked at the wiring diagram it looks like its a resistor so i tested it for resistance with the key off and got .478 K Ohms. does that sound right?
The test you have already done. If its reading over 0.7 AC, then the signal is high enough to trip the ECM to fire the coils. I went out and checked mine and I know its working, it came out to .418 and the difference is insignificant between ours.

Any input at this point in time would help guys. i have 2 computers for this thing too so i know its not the ECM. Im borderline ready to buy a wrecked one and just start swapping sensors...

Thanks for your help everyone
Try jumping the green/white at the ECM to the battery ground, bypassing the side stand, neutral and clutch switches.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts