Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes it does. The IPG denotes position of the crank and with a little math, the pistons. So it is critical to spark timing.

The CPS does the same thing for the cams and valves, which the proper moment to inject fuel would be dependent on.

The test you have already done. If its reading over 0.7 AC, then the signal is high enough to trip the ECM to fire the coils. I went out and checked mine and I know its working, it came out to .418 and the difference is insignificant between ours.

Try jumping the green/white at the ECM to the battery ground, bypassing the side stand, neutral and clutch switches.
Waht is the function of the green white wire? i dont have my schematic in front of me here at work. i bypassed the side stand switch, how do you bypass the clutch switch? and the neutral switch? I will try those when i get out of here in a couple hours. this bike is driving me up the wall.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Waht is the function of the green white wire? i dont have my schematic in front of me here at work. i bypassed the side stand switch, how do you bypass the clutch switch? and the neutral switch? I will try those when i get out of here in a couple hours. this bike is driving me up the wall.
You bypass all three switches by grounding the green/white.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay, this doesn't make any sense... I left for work this morning and checked the fuel injectors for correct pulse and it was fine. i came home today and they only pulse once when i initially crank the engine... wtf is that? lol. i also checked the voltages of the ignition / camshaft pulse generators and they registered only .029 V on the ignition pulse generator and .04X V on the camshaft.

Just to make sure im test these right, you said in your original diagnostic post with what to test and what to look for that when testing the ignition/ camshaft pulse generator the scale has to be set to 2v AC. I set the multimeter to AC and when reading nothing it read 0.000 v I believe thats a 2 volt scale?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Okay, this doesn't make any sense... I left for work this morning and checked the fuel injectors for correct pulse and it was fine. i came home today and they only pulse once when i initially crank the engine... wtf is that? lol. i also checked the voltages of the ignition / camshaft pulse generators and they registered only .029 V on the ignition pulse generator and .04X V on the camshaft.

Just to make sure im test these right, you said in your original diagnostic post with what to test and what to look for that when testing the ignition/ camshaft pulse generator the scale has to be set to 2v AC. I set the multimeter to AC and when reading nothing it read 0.000 v I believe thats a 2 volt scale?
So your saying that when you test on a DC scale that your getting the readings, but when you switch it to an AC scale, you don't get any reading at all?

Have you tried jumpering the green/white to ground and starting it yet?

I know you used a noid light on the input circuits to the coils, but just humor me and use a timing light on the wires leading to the plugs. Never hurts to double check.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im just going to give you everything i possibly can for readings

I jumped the green and white wire to ground at the ecm and it didnt change anything.

Ignition Pulse Generator, Yellow Wire (key on, ignition switch on) 0V AC
" "(key on, Cranking engine) .035V AC

Cam Pulse Generator, Grey Wire (key on, Ignition switch on) 0V AC
" " (Key on Cranking Engine) .003V AC

Injector (black and white - Ground) 12V DC

Coils (Black and White - Ground)12V DC

At ECM (Ignition on , Killswitch on)
Pink - 8.79
Black/White - 12V
Blue/Black - 11.9V ***
Yellow/White - 11.91V
Red/Blue - 11.90V
Red/Yellow - 11.90
Pink/Yellow - 11.90V
Pink/Blue - 11.90V
Pink/Green - 11.90V
Pink/Black - 11.90V

Im looking at a wiring diagram here and according to the diagram the black and white wire feeds power to just about everything (Coils, Injectors, Etc,) If the ecm is sending a signal to the coils one from the black and white wire and from the other individual feeds how does that work? from my understanding the ECm is supposed to supply a ground to these wires?... But anyways givin what your saying with them all being 12 volts... take the coil number one for instance when i disconnect the coil and test the blue/ black wire to the battery ground i come up with nothing. shouldnt that still be 12V? or is the black white completing the circuit through the coils? I would think the ecu would supply the ground to create the spark at the right moment and if thats correct then the coils could be shorted?... but even if so then why dont i have a injector pulse...

and im only getting on pulse out of the injectors...

And this is all tested while the green/white is jumped from the ECM to the battery ground.

I attached a link of the wiring diagram im referring to also

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my hands on a sweet snap-on vantage oscilloscope, if anyone has any ideas on what I should check while I have it in my possession now would be the time to inform me

I checked the voltages with the oscilloscope at the IPG and its jumping around in the 1v range at the connector for the IPG, however at the yellow wire on the ecu its not reading anything so i jumped that wire which corrected the voltage problem but still no such luck with any spark or injector pulse.

At the CPG it jumps all over the place from 0V .40V all the way to a 1.XXV very rarely which is leading me to believe its bad.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well the readings from both the IPG and CPS are too low, but you say you've corrected the issue with the IPG.

Your readings on the battery voltage are consistent across the board, so that should be good.

It has not yet been established that the ECM will function on less than 9 volts from the pink wire. Buy a new 9 volt battery, sever the pink wire (leave enough to repair) and attach the positive from the 9 volt battery to the pink wire and attach the negative from the 9 volt to the bikes battery. It may just be low because your battery voltage is low, but its worth a shot.

If your reading above .7 volts AC at the ECM then forget the IPG, its fine.

As for the CPS, it has to be higher than what your reading for it to function, I would think. It would be nice if someone here that owns a 929 would check the reading from theirs, because the manual, to my knowledge, does not give a value.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As for the CPS, it has to be higher than what your reading for it to function, I would think. It would be nice if someone here that owns a 929 would check the reading from theirs, because the manual, to my knowledge, does not give a value.
Ill second that, anyone out there know? I just flipped through the whole Owners manual and it doesnt say anything.

I took the wiring harness out just to check all the resistances in the lines just to make sure none of them are an issue and i found that the service connector wasnt grounded so i corrected that but i haven't had a chance to put it back in yet.. i dont think its the problem, but if it was its fixed now. I think im going to look for a new camshaft pulse generator i feel it should have the same voltage going through it as the crankshaft pulse generator

Do the computers on these bikes require a reflash when there replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
unfettered im in the same boat can you help me with a

picture of where im supposed to be taking these readings, and on the ac voltage, do i need the bike to be cranking?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think im going to look for a new camshaft pulse generator i feel it should have the same voltage going through it as the crankshaft pulse generator

Do the computers on these bikes require a reflash when there replaced?
The sensor does not need to be coded or anything flashed. I'd also check teh wiring on teh sensor too - i had one wire that had almost broken like it had been cut or pinched at some point in its life and only two or three copper strands remained! Workshop manual say 0.7v for both cam and crank sensor (at 20c) so they should be the same

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
btw, the ignition sensor (crank sensor) triggers the fuel pump so if the pump runs when the engine is cranked over then that sensor is working ok and feeding a signal to the engine ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It goes to the black connector that I believe feeds power to my injectors I'm sorry not my injectors my coils and my fan possibly

21 - 37 of 37 Posts