Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i noticed a noise my bike has been making while i had the stock exhaust. It sounds like a rattle like maybe the valves or something minor? I hear it between 3k and 4k rpm. After reading some similar posts some time ago. I figured it was the exhaust valve that is known for making noise in this rpm range. However, after installing a full exhaust system the sound is still there. It may be more noticeable when the bike is cold. Any thoughts? similar experiences? Bike runs great otherwise. it can't be too out of whack.
Thanks.
Lane

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds logical, however, i thought the cam chain was pretty much a non-issue with the big bikes? Only 600 related? Just trying to make a statement without redirecting the post.
Lane

·
Registered
453 Posts
many people have claimed to know what this is on these bikes but in my opinion nobody has figured it out yet ... its not in the motor but rather something vibrating and rattling .....

it is in the rpm range that you mentioned, in fact try riding down the road and get the bike to where you have the most vibration in the grips and you will see that its right about there ...

its something in front of the motor that resonates or vibrates at that rpm, but one thing is for sure in my opinion, its not serious

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
FastLane929 said:
sounds logical, however, i thought the cam chain was pretty much a non-issue with the big bikes? Only 600 related? Just trying to make a statement without redirecting the post.
Lane

I had 2 cam chain tensioners replaced on my 929, but both times the noise was at approx 5200 rpm but as it got worse, it started at approx 5000 rpm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a noise that resembles a badly adjusted valve clearance on my RRS (95), checked the clearances, tensioner etc. With no joy, I have been told all older fireblades have it. No one has yet to tell me what it is, suspects include carb slides but i'm not convinced. I think mine originates from the fitting of a K&N race filter, as this does not have adequate noise dampening attributes, but whi realy knows. But there is one thing it is ******* annoying when i cant find it!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, my 95 model does it too, and i have spent time and money trying to solve it.
i agree though, mine isnt getting louder after 5000kms since buying and the bike still goes great, so probably not serious, just IRRITATING!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
My 929 had the cam chain tensioner go bad at about 7000 miles and it made the noise between 4000-4500 RPM changing it only seemed to fix it for a few thousand miles then it was back. Except for the noise it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 929 has the exact same noise. Valves are supposed to be OK. I believe it is the chain tensioner going bad and will replace it with the mechanical one to see how that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here is a weird possibility. Do you have a Scotts damper? The bracket can contact the gas tank, making for a good rattle. The gas tank is designed to be isolated from vibrations by it's rubber mounts. The bracket is solid mounted. On my bike, this resulted in fuzzier mirrors and a rattling sound that changed depending on rpm. I filed some clearance into the bracket to solve the problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Red Rider said:
What about the HTEV? Mine gets a little rattle every once in awhile...
he said he has full exhaust so no htev

i still think soomething is buzzing or rattling on the front of the bike at that rpm

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you look carefully at the very front tab on the gas tank, you should be able to tell if this is an issue for you. There was a small amount of paint chipped off in the spot where the Scotts bracket had contacted the front tank tab on my bike. The rubbing marked the spot on the bracket. I just deepened the mark with a file, after removing the bracket from the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, i noticed a noise my bike has been making while i had the stock exhaust. It sounds like a rattle like maybe the valves or something minor? I hear it between 3k and 4k rpm. After reading some similar posts some time ago. I figured it was the exhaust valve that is known for making noise in this rpm range. However, after installing a full exhaust system the sound is still there. It may be more noticeable when the bike is cold. Any thoughts? similar experiences? Bike runs great otherwise. it can't be too out of whack.
Thanks.
Lane
Get it on a dyno, and get reved up to the range of the noise and move your ear lugs around the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see quite a few suggestions on what it could be, but I'm thinking the best route for you is to locate exactly where the sound seems the loudest is. For tracking down any noise I usually use an automative stethoscope to at least isolate where the sound is from. If you don't have a stethoscope a long wooden dowel can work ok as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just putting in my 2 cents put as I was tracking down noises on my 929 (with a 2 foot screwdriver held to my ear) I found one of my noises was from a loose number 4 exhaust nut (apparently the po decided 8mm and 7mm are the same) then I found my fuel cap was rattling at around 3000 rpms and replaced it with a billet screw in style. Just something else to look at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts