Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about dropping a 929 or 954 engine in my 96 blade. Ive heard they bolt up. is this accurate? i would probably need a full wiring harness, ECU, fuel pump and cluster? probably some sort of intake mod...

the only reason why im even looking at doing this is because i have two good engines for my bike that could probably cover all the parts for the conversion if i sell them.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
i think the frames are too different to line up and i dont know how the 929 exhaust would fit onto it...

do you think 29 or 54 ccs are worth it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the frames are too different to line up and i dont know how the 929 exhaust would fit onto it...

do you think 29 or 54 ccs are worth it?
thats what i was thinking but i was told otherwise by afew different people so i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

96 900rr is a 919 so its 10+ or 35+ CCs
im more interested in the conversion to EFI and the power that comes with that

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
im thinking about dropping a 929 or 954 engine in my 96 blade. Ive heard they bolt up. is this accurate? i would probably need a full wiring harness, ECU, fuel pump and cluster? probably some sort of intake mod...

the only reason why im even looking at doing this is because i have two good engines for my bike that could probably cover all the parts for the conversion if i sell them.
Definately won't bolt up but it probably is doable with some fabrication.
There's no reason you couldn't still run the carbs and 900RR airbox so it's unlikely you'd need any of the electrics.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thats what i was thinking but i was told otherwise by afew different people so i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

96 900rr is a 919 so its 10+ or 35+ CCs
im more interested in the conversion to EFI and the power that comes with that
You don't need to change the engine to get FI. You can inject any engine either by fitting aftermarket equipment or using items from other bikes.
The Hornets are FI and they're the same motor you already have so swapping the harness, engine sensors, ECU, throttle bodies and instruments across should be very straightforward. Certainly easier than swapping a 929/954 engine into the bike.
Fitting the FI from the 929 or 954 is a little more involved but probably still fairly simple.
All fuel injection does is inject fuel into the throttle bodies based on signals from the ECU after analysing signals from the engine sensors.
The sensors would probably include air intake temperature, coolant temperature, airbox pressure, throttle position, crank and camshaft positions and possibly an oxygen sensor.
The hardest would be fitting crank and cam position sensors to the engine if it doesn't already have them but I wouldn't expect either to be especially difficult.
You would of course also want to run a PC3 so you can make it all work most effectively.

For what it's worth, I'd expect you'd see more power gains from fitting flatslide carbs than fitting FI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts