Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to purchase my first blade and have a question regarding the 2001-02 RR2 and the 2003 RR3 models. Apart from the engine size, what are the differences between the two models. It may be a really obvious question and I apologise if it is.

It's just that I'm new to blades and want to make sure I'm making the right decision, looking at prices the RR3 is between £500 -£1000 more expensive and whilst it's billed as the final Baba Blade and the best one ever made, is the difference really that vast.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's about a 20hp difference up top and a little better than 10hp in the mid-range. The 929 is going to be a great bike for a long time, but if you're looking for thrills.. then it's the 954rr.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm currently looking to purchase my first blade and have a question regarding the 2001-02 RR2 and the 2003 RR3 models. Apart from the engine size, what are the differences between the two models. It may be a really obvious question and I apologise if it is.

It's just that I'm new to blades and want to make sure I'm making the right decision, looking at prices the RR3 is between £500 -£1000 more expensive and whilst it's billed as the final Baba Blade and the best one ever made, is the difference really that vast.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Mechanically the differences are fairly minor, although the result is another 10hp to the 954.
The 954 was further stripped to shed more weight, perhaps pushing the limits too far as some of the '03 models developed cracked cooling jackets on the front of the engine and cracked lower fork castings.
Strangely, not much of the bikes are interchangeable despite seeming so similar.
I think it's going to come down to which test ride puts the bigger grin on your face :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It's about a 20hp difference up top and a little better than 10hp in the mid-range. The 929 is going to be a great bike for a long time, but if you're looking for thrills.. then it's the 954rr.

The difference is not that great, about half of what you've mentioned.
Generally around 130hp and 140hp for the stock bikes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Over here in North America the 929 is 2000-2001. The 954 is 2002-2003. Is it different over there?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Over here in North America the 929 is 2000-2001. The 954 is 2002-2003. Is it different over there?

Good catch, I didn't spot that :)
Yes, that's correct and it's worth mentioning that although '00 and '01 929's are identical, there a some minor changes between the '02 and '03 954's.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I looked at a bhp chart on the 954 and a whp chart on the 929.. Doh! Lol i know looking at different dynos isn't totally accurate. I figured the fuel injection on the 03s must have given it a significant bump. It may be on just the belly side of 10hp.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I looked at a bhp chart on the 954 and a whp chart on the 929.. Doh! Lol i know looking at different dynos isn't totally accurate. I figured the fuel injection on the 03s must have given it a significant bump. It may be on just the belly side of 10hp.

The 929 is also injected though.
On the same dyno it's about 10hp difference in peak output. The 1000RR is about 10hp more again.

Dyno charts generally measure hp, not bhp.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Different fairings, rear frames, swingarms, capacity, power, etc.

Buy the one that's been better looked after and gives the better VFM.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Different fairings, rear frames, swingarms, capacity, power, etc.

Buy the one that's been better looked after and gives the better VFM.

Main frame is different as well.
There's not much that's the same between the two.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
the 954 is what the 929 should have been IMO. I don't mean for that to sound like I'm saying the 929 is a bad bike by any means. It's a great bike. But the 954 is more refined

·
Registered
330 Posts
Put it this way, in '09 they interviewed Tadao Baba (legendary Fireblade designer) and he said that his daily ride is an '02 954RR because it was the last and best blade that he made. ;-)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good catch, I didn't spot that :)
Yes, that's correct and it's worth mentioning that although '00 and '01 929's are identical, there a some minor changes between the '02 and '03 954's.
As far as I know the only difference between the '02-'03 blades was the paint. For '02 it was red w/ black and silver w/black. '03 was black w/ red and titanium w/ black. Were there other changes that I'm not aware of? Or was the paint the only thing?

EDIT: I just remembered that non North American spec bikes had quite a few different colours.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Go with whichever one fits your budget.

I have an '01 929 and an '02 954. With the exception of HeliBars on the 929, both bikes feel and perform identically.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
As far as I know the only difference between the '02-'03 blades was the paint. For '02 it was red w/ black and silver w/black. '03 was black w/ red and titanium w/ black. Were there other changes that I'm not aware of? Or was the paint the only thing?

EDIT: I just remembered that non North American spec bikes had quite a few different colours.

Mainly differences in the electrical components and harness.
Have a look at the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wish I could remember where I read it, but in the article the guy compared a 929 and 954 on the track. Both bikes set up very similar and the 954 he thought handled much better. I'm fuzzy on the details of the setup tho.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've owned both (two CBR929s, both were 2000 models, and now a 2002 CBR954.) The Readers Digest answer was posted earlier:
"Buy the one that's been better looked after."
Really. Both bikes are amazing and you'll love either one. Can't go wrong. So find the one that has been less abused and actually rec'd it's scheduled maintenance and GO RIDE. :)

I loved my CBR929s. Had them under my butt for 10 years. Sport-toured on them (helibars were a must.) Great machine!

Just recently got the CBR954, so time on it is limited, but it seems awesome as well. As another person put it, like a 'refined' CBR929. I can see why Tadao Baba uses the CBR954 as his 'daily ride'. It is all the good from the 929 with minor refinements that 'tweak' it to be just a bit better.

Do a search of "CBR954 REVIEWS." I always thought the 929 and 954 were basically the same bikes with a little bigger engine in the 954 and a slight change in riding position. But when you start reading the reviews, there were all sorts of minor, but interesting changes to the CBR954. Refinements. Nothing earth shattering.

If they were EQUAL in price, I'd say get the 954. But since there is a price difference, the earlier advice stands - get the one better cared for. Having owned both, that is what I would do. Equally awesome machines. Both super fun and with more than enough power to thrill and kill. You'll be happy with either one.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ilive in the uk ,and my fireblade is a 929 registerd in2002.

Nobody cares when it was registered. All that matters is the model year - it's either a '00 RR-Y or a '01 RR-1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts