Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for winter projects and one I have been thinking about is taping off part of the front fairings directly in front of the air ducts and cutting holes out on each side with a mesh screen behind the fairing. Has anyone ever done this and can give me some hints or tips or I would love to see pictures whether they are yours or not. I am gonna start this project in December. Pics will come.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Its time for winter projects and one I have been thinking about is taping off part of the front fairings directly in front of the air ducts and cutting holes out on each side with a mesh screen behind the fairing. Has anyone ever done this and can give me some hints or tips or I would love to see pictures whether they are yours or not. I am gonna start this project in December. Pics will come.
Would this be any different to simply removing the fairing entirely? I'd think it'd be unlikely to alter the intake flow since the "ducts" are too far from the actual intakes - unless you intend to install piping?
John Robinson's book Motorcycle Tuning: Chassis has some information about optimising air flow through air ducts but I'm sure there is better information around nowadays. He wrote it just before "ram air" was coming into existance.
The simplest way would be to try porting it across from one of the more successful existing systems.
What are you actually trying to achieve with this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Creating a cold air intake. And yes I am wanting to have some sort of direct flow into the airbox from the front fairing. And naked bikes in my opinion are really ugly. Fairing are staying on.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Creating a cold air intake. And yes I am wanting to have some sort of direct flow into the airbox from the front fairing. And naked bikes in my opinion are really ugly. Fairing are staying on.
A cool air intake is a lot simpler than a pressurised ram air system.
The difficulty with ram air is that air pressure changes with speed so keeping the fueling right is difficult. It's easier with injection and Power Commanders though :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I just did a little research and relized that ram air and cold air intake are different. I am just wanting cool clean air. Gonna keep it simple

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boomboom929 would you mind selling me the plans? I have been to their website and can't find their DIY. Any pics by the way

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Many years ago, a guy that used to be on this site did extensive work with fabbing up cold air intakes on his 929, did extensive dyno testing, etc. The verdict was it didn't produce any additional performance gains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
boomboom929 would you mind selling me the plans? I have been to their website and can't find their DIY. Any pics by the way
I did it back in '01 and have no idea where those plans are. If I did, I'd share them.

HondaGal, it's hard to recreate on a dyno those results because you can only use a fan to try to blow wind into the airbox, I did notice a difference and it only cost me $50 to make it. It was well worth it for peace of mind, if nothing else.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Many years ago, a guy that used to be on this site did extensive work with fabbing up cold air intakes on his 929, did extensive dyno testing, etc. The verdict was it didn't produce any additional performance gains.
Boomboom is correct. You can not utilize cold air/ram air on a dyno. Cold Air/Ram air is only useful with the bike moving or by using high velocity fans. 99% of the dyno shops use simple box fans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts