Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm sure someone will blast me for asking but i'm going to any way. Is there a difference between the yellow and white rear spring for the 929, or did they just feel like painting them different colors? If so could you tell me what the difference is and the benifits of each.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ok i'm sure someone will blast me for asking but i'm going to any way. Is there a difference between the yellow and white rear spring for the 929, or did they just feel like painting them different colors? If so could you tell me what the difference is and the benifits of each.
Maybe try searching as I remember reading a discussion about this some years ago.
I don't recall but it think it was finally determined to be the same spring.
If the wire diameter and coil pitch are the same I'd assume they're the same weight. It's possible they might be treated differently though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried searching and didn't find anything. I have two shocks and both springs. That is why I was wondering if there is a different.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I tried searching and didn't find anything. I have two shocks and both springs. That is why I was wondering if there is a different.
If you have both take measurements.
Or you can measure their rates yourself with a bathroom scale and a car jack or press. The rate is simply kg/mm (not sure if there is a lb/in in the US or not). I usually compress a spring in 10mm increments and record the load required and then average it. Modern springs are usually linear but a progressive spring will require an incremental increase in load for each 10mm of compression.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
white was 2000 yellow was 2001 ? can anyone with these bike years verify their colour of rear shock?

my erion has a yellow spring

but it's most likely just a colour difference.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
white was 2000 yellow was 2001 ? can anyone with these bike years verify their colour of rear shock?

my erion has a yellow spring

but it's most likely just a colour difference.
Nope but I can tell you my '00 spring is white.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
verdict is in.

2000 = white spring
2001 = yellow spring

My scientific theory has thus been concluded. lol
I tend to agree :)
Now we just need to work out if they're the same spring just different colours :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the white one is on my bike and it is a 2000. When I tear my bike down to powder coat everything I will have to see If I can measure the spring rates of the two and let everybody know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts