Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Electrex world have finally solved the stator issue, the cause appears to be the rotor magnets were too strong and were causing the self heating by product of producing electricity to get to incredibly high temperatures, as such they now only sell the stator along with their own custom matched rotors....

Has anyone tried the new combination?
Will be doing so but at the end of the month...
Here's a link with the graphs as evidence....
G89/RO89 - Generator alternator stator honda CBR900RR CBR929 electrical parts for motorcycles Electrex World

Could this be the final cure?!!!!!:idunno:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
unlikely. honda has had a lot of years to fix their crappy system and still nothing. All of a sudden a company comes out and says they have a fix?

mind you i wouldn't mind seeing what peoples experiences are with this new system of theirs.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Looks like Electrex world have finally solved the stator issue, the cause appears to be the rotor magnets were too strong and were causing the self heating by product of producing electricity to get to incredibly high temperatures, as such they now only sell the stator along with their own custom matched rotors....

Has anyone tried the new combination?
Will be doing so but at the end of the month...
Here's a link with the graphs as evidence....
G89/RO89 - Generator alternator stator honda CBR900RR CBR929 electrical parts for motorcycles Electrex World

Could this be the final cure?!!!!!:idunno:
Makes sense to me.
The rotor and stator are probably manufactured by two unrelated companies in total ignorance of each other's requirements.
Price doesn't seem too unreasonable either.
Seems odd that they refer to them as generators though when they produce alternating current.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well a quick chat with the other half and the purchase was made, just fitted.
Yup the magnetic force of the rotor is a heck of a lot less, seems to be charging from 2k revs tho. Will check voltages with a meter tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yup the magnetic force of the rotor is a heck of a lot less, seems to be charging from 2k revs tho.
That's not good then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure, not really read up on charging systems but seem to remember most bikes only really kick out reasonable amounts of charge after 4-5k rpm. Battery is stuffed and doesn't fully charge, but cant spend any more and still get to work for the rest of the month :s

Perhaps the Oem equipment is miss-matched and kicks out far too high a voltage, do regulators fail frequently on the 929?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'll tell you, I have not had a problem yet but have seen many write ups. I would like someone who has gone through this to post the remedy, or his/her thought on this as set up in a prevenative thread. Maybe this would help some of us from being stranded.
Thanks, Bob

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Not sure, not really read up on charging systems but seem to remember most bikes only really kick out reasonable amounts of charge after 4-5k rpm. Battery is stuffed and doesn't fully charge, but cant spend any more and still get to work for the rest of the month :s

Perhaps the Oem equipment is miss-matched and kicks out far too high a voltage, do regulators fail frequently on the 929?
It needs to be charging while idling.
When you say the battery doesn't fully charge, do you mean when it's on a battery charger? What voltage does it charge to?
Regs do fail but the stator is the main problem I think. A less volatile stator might be all that's required to protect the regs though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah sorry, was under the influence last night.
Battery is not charging 100% on the charger.
Still trying to find a bloody multimeter, there are a dozen or so in the house, but my son is fond of playing with em... lil git!
When I said it charges, it brightens up the headlamp when it hits 2k, so is probably putting something out at tickover.

Must stop designing electronics while stoned, drew up a igbt/thyristor regulator that looking at it this morning could be used in a power station... possibly overkill :p

UPDATE:

Alls good on the charging front
Battery = 14v
Tickover = 15v
Tickover + lights = 15v

Lets see how long this one lasts :D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

me too.

it's a little cold in the garage over here so i still haven't takent eh blade apart yet to see if it's something more than just the stator going once again, but i'll be trying a rewind myself. I'll take my time and can't see me doing any worse than the aftermarkets.

·
Registered
374 Posts
OK, I ended up going for the Electrex World G89/RO89 kit, but after assembly and testing I'm not getting anywhere near what I'd expect the charge voltage should be.

Following the Honda Service Manual alternator charging coil inspection guidelines I still get a short between all three yellow terminals and ground. How can that be???

Seriously getting annoyed now since I haven't ridden in a few weeks. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
OK, I ended up going for the Electrex World G89/RO89 kit, but after assembly and testing I'm not getting anywhere near what I'd expect the charge voltage should be.

Following the Honda Service Manual alternator charging coil inspection guidelines I still get a short between all three yellow terminals and ground. How can that be???
What voltage are you getting across the battery?
What do you mean by a short?
There should be no continuity.

·
Registered
374 Posts
12.7 volts across the battery. Actually drops when the bike is running :(

short = 0 ohms = continuity

I'm trying to work this out on my head though. Maybe you can help. The manual says there should not be continuity between any of the yellow terminals and ground. However the alternator charging coil is bolted to the stator cover which is bolted to the engine case, etc. How would there not be continuity?

I measured the old stator and there is continuity between all three yellow leads and the metal center which bolts to the stator cover.

So am I missing something here?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
12.7 volts across the battery. Actually drops when the bike is running :(

short = 0 ohms = continuity

I'm trying to work this out on my head though. Maybe you can help. The manual says there should not be continuity between any of the yellow terminals and ground. However the alternator charging coil is bolted to the stator cover which is bolted to the engine case, etc. How would there not be continuity?

I measured the old stator and there is continuity between all three yellow leads and the metal center which bolts to the stator cover.

So am I missing something here?
It's clearly not charging at all then.
Is the stator plugged into the regulator?
The coil windings are insulated from the stator core.
On the old one, the wires have melted the insulation and grounded to the core.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts