Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I've done some research on here and other places and am confused because there is too much wrong and wide variety of information out there. I have a 929 that I am having shifting issues with it. I've narrowed it down to 3rd and 4th. Sometimes a lot sometimes it doesn't happen very often. When I shift up into 4th obviously from 3rd, it will shift, I'll ride a couple seconds maybe and then it will go back to 3rd. It's not violent, it's not loud it just happens. I have seen a false neutral or two in that range as well. I know a lot about bikes, but honestly I've never been in a transmission. 1st question is is it drum/forks? Or the teeth that mesh the gears together (called dogs I think?)?. Also if it's drum/forks that do that do the cases need split or can you enter through the oil pan? I know you have to take the halves apart for gear work. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
541 Posts
On my old VFR it was the dogs on the gears that are used to link gears together (not the teeth). But if you gave been trying to "hold it" in gear this can lead to shift fork wear (had the same problem with third/fourth gear).

Can often mean by the time you break out the box there are several "damaged pieces" to replace...

Can post some pics if you like of the worn dogs and shift fork...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please do. Thanks for the insight. I'd like to know what I'm looking for once I get in there. I visually know how a transmission works but I wanna know what "bad parts" look like when I get there. I think if I'm going through the trouble I will probably replace everything I can afford

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes - supposed to have a crisp edge..., note the wear on the selector fork, I almost missed this when replacing the gears (gears and selector fork now live on the mantel).

Replacing these two cogs and one selector shaft cost me nearly £400 (15 or so years ago), so if you need more than one or two cogs, a second hand box may be cheaper...(gaskets, selector fork, cogs, various tools etc)..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't feel the need to replace the drum? Also how bad did it get before you finally decided to tear it apart?

·
Registered
541 Posts
At £70 - £80 a cog, I felt no desire to change anything that did not need changing...

I only changed the gears that were dropping out... And those parts with obvious signs of wear....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think the newer parts are of better construction? I know this is a common issue, maybe Honda revised them? That would be something that would make me want new components over a eBay one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can't comment, not long after I rebuilt the box, I had an off on the bike and after rebuilding her I moved her along....

And bought the blade...... 15 years..ish and going strong.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
But if you are considering a 2nd hand box, check the pictures carefully.... If you can... My advice would be to strip out the old box, check each part carefully, price up genuine new replacements, then you know the "gamble" on a 2nd hand box...

Given the situation again, I'd be looking for a secondhand box...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the scary part with me is knowing the idiots riding some of these bikes over the years and all 8k miles might be 2nd clutched wheelies! Like you said gotta look hard but that can be tough with pictures off the internet. I wonder what does that much damage? Bad shifting? Abuse or just bad parts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I see your point.... Strip your box first and see... Some people are very unsympathetic to their gearbox, others run many miles without problem....I would expect 2nd gear to be an issue because of the large gap between 1st and 2nd, but most people probably spend most time in 3rd and 4th...shifting between the two around town etc....I wonder what causes most damage...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well now, those pictures were from a 1986 Vfr (I think - in the uk they were designated FG).

Not sure whether they were undercut or not. Don't know re the blade box....

But, ape race parts . Com say that they can't undercut worn dogs...

So the question becomes one of whether you need such extra " grip"....

My own blade rarely drops out, but then I am not a particularly aggressive rider.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I know this gen blade didn't have undercut stock but I found a gearbox on eBay that has been undercut by a fab shop. Which by their words means the gearbox had to have been good to start with. $284 isn't bad either for the fact it has been undercut already

·
Registered
541 Posts
So the undercut box is supposed to be better... Could be worth a look, but unless it is still at the fabshop, there is no guarantee it is still good...

Gearboxes for blades in the uk are around £150 to £250 standard, so $284 seems a good deal...if the box is good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts