Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 929 shock and it turned out to be shot (no damping).

These units aren't difficult to find but buying another one involves taking the risk of getting another broken shock, so I may be better off having someone knowledgeable with shocks refurbish the one I have. This wouldn't be much more expensive than buying another one.

My question is, are 929 shocks serviceable? Is the seal head welded shut?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I recently bought a used 929 shock and it turned out to be shot (no damping).

These units aren't difficult to find but buying another one involves taking the risk of getting another broken shock, so I may be better off having someone knowledgeable with shocks refurbish the one I have. This wouldn't be much more expensive than buying another one.

My question is, are 929 shocks serviceable? Is the seal head welded shut?

Thanks!
Yes, the shock is rebuildable.
Several manufacturers do valving kits for it.
VINTAGE GV CONVERSION

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! Actually, I'm not looking at revalving the shock, if I were to mess with the setup I would probably buy an aftermarket unit. I will be using this shock on a VFR track bike, the 929 spring rate is the same as the stock VFR spring, this is where I want to start. Since I'm sticking to stock spring rate, no need for revalving I'd say. Front end is a F4i setup with F4 springs, again same spring rate as VFR. We'll see from there.

Good. I didn't want to venture once again on buying another shock. Getting fooled once is part of the game, but twice would be probably wreck my day.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Great! Actually, I'm not looking at revalving the shock, if I were to mess with the setup I would probably buy an aftermarket unit. I will be using this shock on a VFR track bike, the 929 spring rate is the same as the stock VFR spring, this is where I want to start. Since I'm sticking to stock spring rate, no need for revalving I'd say. Front end is a F4i setup with F4 springs, again same spring rate as VFR. We'll see from there.

Good. I didn't want to venture once again on buying another shock. Getting fooled once is part of the game, but twice would be probably wreck my day.

Thanks!
Spring rate and damping rates are two different things.
Revalving narrows the range of adjustment into just the area you use so you can tune it more accurately to suit yourself. Stock valving is a big compromise to suit all riders of all weights under all conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spring rate and damping rates are two different things.
Revalving narrows the range of adjustment into just the area you use so you can tune it more accurately to suit yourself. Stock valving is a big compromise to suit all riders of all weights under all conditions.
Yes, spring rate and damping are two different things!! In my experience, Honda gets the valving adjustments right as long as you stick with stock spring rate. The compromise isn't in the valving, it is in the spring rate which is defined by average rider weight and use. In other words, a different spring rate will require corresponding changes in damping, but since I'm only starting my development work on the VFR I'd rather stick with OEM spring rates front and rear, thus keeping valving unchanged, and I'll move from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.