Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I've had a Power Commander (non-USB) on this bike for 4 or 5 years now. Never had a problem with it. Bike always started fine. Last year I had the bike run on a dyno and had the map adjusted a bit. Continued to start fine and run great for the rest of the year.

After a winter in the garage, I couldn't get the bike started. It turns over, the starter cranks, etc. Not a battery problem. I replaced the spark plugs. Same problem. Finally (I should have done this first!), I unplugged the Power Commander. The bike started up right after that.

Plugged the Power Commander back in. No start. Unplugged it again: started fine.

Has anybody else ever seen this? Could something have happened to the PC over the winter? Maybe with the freezing weather it lost the map or the programming? Or do these things just die over time?

Is there a way to fix it? Or can I at least recover the map to put onto a new PC if I have to buy a new one?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I did a track day with the stock fuel mapping yesterday, and I remembered why I enjoyed the PC so much. I'm going to plug it in again and see if it starts. Maybe after a day running some clean new gas through the bike at the track day, it will start again with the PC....

--- D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey all.

I've had a Power Commander (non-USB) on this bike for 4 or 5 years now. Never had a problem with it. Bike always started fine. Last year I had the bike run on a dyno and had the map adjusted a bit. Continued to start fine and run great for the rest of the year.

After a winter in the garage, I couldn't get the bike started. It turns over, the starter cranks, etc. Not a battery problem. I replaced the spark plugs. Same problem. Finally (I should have done this first!), I unplugged the Power Commander. The bike started up right after that.

Plugged the Power Commander back in. No start. Unplugged it again: started fine.

Has anybody else ever seen this? Could something have happened to the PC over the winter? Maybe with the freezing weather it lost the map or the programming? Or do these things just die over time?

Is there a way to fix it? Or can I at least recover the map to put onto a new PC if I have to buy a new one?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I did a track day with the stock fuel mapping yesterday, and I remembered why I enjoyed the PC so much. I'm going to plug it in again and see if it starts. Maybe after a day running some clean new gas through the bike at the track day, it will start again with the PC....

--- D

PC's are known to fail. I believe Dynojet will check it out for a fee.
If you can still read it via computer then you can certainly download the map.

·
Registered
11 Posts
had the exact same problem on my 929, after everything was said and done, i ended up having to put a new pc on it. old one just took a crap i guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts