Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the temp. on the wires coming off of the stator motor should be. Mine are get very hot is this normal?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the stator cover gets hot enough to burn your skin so I'm guessing it'll heat up anything in close proximity including the wires. So long as the wire insulators aren't melting I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Your rectifier/regulator is the shunt type, which means the power you don't use gets shorted back to the stator. Your stator always runs at 100%, whether you use it or not. So those wires are always going to be HOT.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my stator wires burned up under my seat where they plug in at.. :( no idea why. i ended up cutting off the connectors on both ends and wiring direct.. they are probly just hot because what everyone else is saying but there is that possibility they will burn up as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm thinking that perhaps your rectum-frier is going out. If it continues to shunt power back to the stator, it will eventually fry out the stator, then your battery, or vice-versa (don't ask me how I know).

I thought that the regulator-rectifier shunted excess charge through heat, hence the aluminum plate on the back, and the recommended application of a heat transfer compound to help facilitate said heat transfer. I went so far as to mount a heat sink with a fan attached to my VFR to help with the heat.

I could be wrong. But I've owned two VFR's and have replaced a fried stator in one of them.

Go to Electrex.com and download the trouble-shooting guide for electrical problems. It might be able to help you track down a possible problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible for someone to take a temp. measurement for the stator wires at the stator/regulator plug on the stator side for a 929rr.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my stator wires burned up under my seat where they plug in at.. :( no idea why. i ended up cutting off the connectors on both ends and wiring direct.. they are probly just hot because what everyone else is saying but there is that possibility they will burn up as well.
I recently had the same problem. I had spliced wires in and 2 days later they actually caught fire I have since replaced the stator and rectifier. My wires are direct to each other using but connectors they still get hot but from what I'm reading this is normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts