Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have read many links on here but no one tells exactly how to press the steering stem out of the lower triple clamp on a cbr 929. So my impression is flip the clamp up side down so the stem is facing down and the press is pressing from the bottom. Apply pressure and the stem well just pop out. Is this true or is there some other steps you may have to do?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey, I have read many links on here but no one tells exactly how to press the steering stem out of the lower triple clamp on a cbr 929. So my impression is flip the clamp up side down so the stem is facing down and the press is pressing from the bottom. Apply pressure and the stem well just pop out. Is this true or is there some other steps you may have to do?
No, you press it out from the top.
It takes _HUGE_ pressure though.
I think a 30-ton press was used to press my GSXR600 stem out.
Why are you trying to press it out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Thankfully i was only using a 12 ton press as I did try to press it out backwards with no luck so when i flipped it over to see if anything might happen it actually popped right out. Man i'm so glad i was able to do this since i had a bear of a time finding links on how to do this. Now how do i press it into the straigh tlower triple clamp, and are there any pre cautions i should take?

By the way i'm trying do this because of my begineerness. See after i repaired my bike from hitting a dog i got real smart:) and decided that my tires where bald and i should throw on the used track day tires this guy gave me. Well into my 4th corner after a 15 minute ride i tucked the front end under going straight into a steep muddy embankment destroying that new triple clamp i had just replaced. So now i have one bent triple clamp with a good stem and one straight triple clamp with a cross threaded stem. So my ingunity told me to swap the parts over i hope this is not a mistake.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok, Thankfully i was only using a 12 ton press as I did try to press it out backwards with no luck so when i flipped it over to see if anything might happen it actually popped right out. Man i'm so glad i was able to do this since i had a bear of a time finding links on how to do this. Now how do i press it into the straigh tlower triple clamp, and are there any pre cautions i should take?

By the way i'm trying do this because of my begineerness. See after i repaired my bike from hitting a dog i got real smart:) and decided that my tires where bald and i should throw on the used track day tires this guy gave me. Well into my 4th corner after a 15 minute ride i tucked the front end under going straight into a steep muddy embankment destroying that new triple clamp i had just replaced. So now i have one bent triple clamp with a good stem and one straight triple clamp with a cross threaded stem. So my ingunity told me to swap the parts over i hope this is not a mistake.

Did you try straightening the clamp first?
I straightened a CBR1000RR lower clamp a couple of years ago very successfully.
If the clamp is so badly bent that you can't straighten it then I'd be very surprised if the stem is straight.
Why not simply re-thread the good clamp?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I have not tried to straighten the bent clamp. Although the clamp is barely bent I was thinking it would be near impossible to straighten it and keep the geometry of the bike correct. On the other clamp, I have taken it to 5 diffrent machine shops and nobody seems to want to do it. With the stem out what is the best way to straighten the lower tripple is there a good way?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
No, I have not tried to straighten the bent clamp. Although the clamp is barely bent I was thinking it would be near impossible to straighten it and keep the geometry of the bike correct. On the other clamp, I have taken it to 5 diffrent machine shops and nobody seems to want to do it. With the stem out what is the best way to straighten the lower tripple is there a good way?

You're better off doing it with the stem in place since you need to straighten it be perfectly perpedicular to the stem. Don't put any load at all into the stem though.
You need a couple of lengths of stong pipe that's as close to the fork size as possible. If it's under-size shim it up to fit nicely and then tighten up the pinch bolts. It must be a tight fit.
I bolted one pipe down to the garage floor and then walked up the other pipe slowly bending the clamp straight. You do have to go a little past straight as it tends to bend back. You also have to be careful to keep both pipes parallel as you don't want to bend the clamp sideways either.
Then do the other side.
Then you'll probably have to tweak both sides a couple of times to get them perfect.
I think I used eight-foot poles and was standing on the very end which equated to about five tons of force on the clamp.
The steering geometry is set by the axis through both upper and lower clamps. As long as you can fit the fork tube through both clamps without forcing them then the geometry will be the same as always.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks that sounds like a great way to straighten it out and then i will have a spare if i can just get the threads fixed on the one bad stem. When i hit the dog some how the lower nut jumped a thread and came off crooked tearing up the stem fairly bad. Do you know how i can have this fixed or what size threads they are? Once again thanks for all your help i hope others find this information swo they can use it.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks that sounds like a great way to straighten it out and then i will have a spare if i can just get the threads fixed on the one bad stem. When i hit the dog some how the lower nut jumped a thread and came off crooked tearing up the stem fairly bad. Do you know how i can have this fixed or what size threads they are? Once again thanks for all your help i hope others find this information swo they can use it.

The lower nut refers to the bearing tension nut which is part of the dust cover?
I don't know what size or pitch it is offhand but a thread pitch gauge will sort that out.
It might be worth trying an epoxy. Fill the threads with epoxy and then cut a new thread. There's not an enormous amount of load on the threads so it may well work just fine.
Otherwise, take it to a machine shop and ask them. It may be possible to machine the thread off and press on an aluminium sleeve and then cut a new thread into that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Just wanted to say that i got the bike back on the road. Actually it was back on the road a few days after my last post. I eneded up pressing the stems out and swapping them. There where no complications and the procedure worked out well. I was never able to find any one who would re-thread my old stem but would still like to repair it as a back up. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts