Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have a 2000 929 in which I have replaced the engine with a 2001 engine that was from a bike destroyed in a fire at a dealership. Replaced everything inside that melted (cam guides, etc). I did put the tensioner lifter in wrong the first time which caused it to shred the plastic from the tensioner. Replaced that again, got the engine running.

Now, when I ride, everything starts fine. engine idles smooth, accelerates good, etc. Once it warms up though, things don't work so well. It begins to idle rough, and when I start from a complete start, it stutters / bogs down significantly until probably 4-5k rpm. Once there, it seems to run well again until I have to stop again.

I have not checked the voltage when warm, but the battery is brand new, as are the spark plugs. I have not pulled them yet to look at them, but I am not sure they could be intermittent the way this problem is.

Any advice on where to start troubleshooting would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have no idea if it's relevant in this particular case but I personally wouldn't bother with an engine that got hot enough to melt nylon inside it. Were the bearing shells still coated with white metal when you opened it up? Were any of the seals, gaskets or o-rings melted?
How many miles have you put on it since rebuilding it?
Aluminium does not like being heated to extremes and it warps when it gets hot without always returning to it's original shape.
I guess that if it doesn't have any oil leaks after rebuilding it maybe it's okay.
Even if it were free I don't think I'd invest time and money into a burnt engine myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not actually look at the bearings, so I have no idea if they were coated.

There were no seals, o-rings or anything else melted inside the engine with the exception of the cam chain guides being deformed.

I have put approximately 100 miles on since the re-build

There is a small oil leak, looks like it may be coming from the head gasket, but I need to wash it off and find out exactly where. I do not see and evidence of oil in the water / water in the oil yet.

I knew a guy who worked at the shop that burned, he said the bike wasn't that badly burnt. Most hoses on the outside were still somewhat intact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts