Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard it is possible to fit 929 tail fairings on a 98-99 900 rr, even though the subframes look nothing alike. Has anyone heard of or know of anyone who has done this. My 900 is realy smashed up an I am looking for ways to make that tail look better since I have to buy a new tail anyway.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If there's a M/C wreckers around; see if they have a 929 tail that you can "rough fit" over the rear of your smashed up 900... You might need to steal the rear sub-frame and/or weld it to your stock one...

I can't say I've seen it done tho...

·
Registered
356 Posts
if that rrzone site doesn't give you any ideas, I've seen a few blades here in the UK with 2002 R1 tail plastics with the LED working as well. The subframe is kept from the Blade however, it is modified if i'm not mistaken. Another option is if you're willing 2 spend a bit of coin, check out airtech, they make a NSR GP replica kit for the blade.. may not fit on your 98 model though :idunno:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
looks like there's some empty space between the bottom of the back edge of the seat and cowling under it but its kinda dark in the pic so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know if the 929 seats will fit on the 900 subframe with the 929 tail? The 900 seat doesn't quite fit, looks kinda goofy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I see what you mean about the goofy look... is there no way you can heat the plastic and mold it to fit the countours a bit better?? i'm not sure if the front seat fits, you might have to buy one or borrow one and try it out... i'm sure there's a 929 in your neck of the woods??

glad you found this out before me, i WAS going to do the 929 tail mod but I think i'll just stick with my original plan and make my own around my subframe...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am going to do the swap and try to modify the 929 seat to fit. I don't have one yet so I am not sure how much work it will be but I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been looking to change out the rear of my 97RR for a 929 but the fact that the 929 seat wont fit the 900 subframe I quit persuing the idea. After messing around with a spare subframe I cut the tank mount off, bent the upper subframe rails inward 1/2"(both sides) between the frame mounts and the rear seat bracket and low and behold the front seat of a 929 fit perfect! I welded the tank mount back and drilled holes in the side of the subframe for the 929 seat and drank a beer. You will need spacers when you mount the subframe back on the bike = the width of how far the rails were bent ini. I'll post a picture when i get the rear cowl back from the painters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ihave seen a lote in portugal sometimes riders are short with money. i have seen 900, 929,r6,r1 tails on almost every bike even on harley davidson.if it doesnt fit cut it in 2pieces and feel the rest with fiber glass
:thumb: hope it can help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I have got my 929 tail in the mail a couple of days ago. I Have trimmed my subframe and my inner fender to make it fit. It fits and looks pretty good. The bolt holes for the frankenstein bolts lined up perfect. I am still waiting on my new front seat in the mail. I am going to try an modify it to fit the subframe. I think bending and drilling holes in the subframe would weaken it. Doesn't look like it will be too dificult to modify the seat to fit anyway.

Evolution9, How did you modify your rear seat, hinge, and latch. I was thinking about just mounting the rear seat sollid, so it won't open. But if you got it to work let me know how you did it. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
:thumb: hi there !!don´t drill the frame... first cut a piece of the same matiriel of the subframe. then center the seat and put the piece under the seat and drill the holes on the piece of the same matirial of the subframe for the bolts to holde the seat a then welld the piece to the subframe. this way you will not have to drill and drill the frame time after time and the frame is going to get weak.and then if the tail doesn´t fit with the seat fill around the seat with fiber glass... i did that with a bike o f a friend. cbr600 with 929 tail.hope i could help once again :thumb: :) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havent worked out the seat latch yet, I am thinking of welding a piece of aluminum plate on top of the rear cross member and drilling holes in it to mount the original seat latch. Maybe hook an old choke cable to the locking arm and route it under the seat somewhere for a trick trunk opener.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts