Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a '01 929 with PC3 and slip-on exhaust. I noticed that the throttle on my bike is very abrupt at lower RPM. For example when I take on a tight corner and I am around 3-4k RPM and roll off the throttle entering the corner, half way thru the corner I want to give some gas to accelerate out of the turn smoothly. Well, most of the time when I try to get on the gas slowly, I usually get nothing and all the sudden I get too much and the bike almost lunch forward. Is this normal for all the 929 or my PC3 is not tuned properly? Doe this happen to people with stock bike? How about modded? My previous bike was a stock R6 and it was a hell lot smother on these situations.

Thanks,

dmz

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, the 929 had a rough transition down low.

Do you have a custom map for your PCIII? That should really help.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine's twitchy too. Custom map is on the list for this winter. Also, it seems if your suspension is too stiff, it makes the throttle very twitchy. Still working on suspension tuning too...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my bike with the PCIII already installed. So, I don't know if I have a custom mapping. Most likely not. Anyone had the throttle smoothed out with a custom map?

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Yup, the custom map helped with my full exhaust. Gearing changes helped, too, on the track, because slow turns I had to take in first gear with the stock gearing I can now do in second with the changed gearing (-1 front, +1 rear). The throttle was particularly touchy in first.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi dmz,

I just installed a PC3USB I bought second hand from a guy who had exactly the same mods as me. He had spent $300 on a custom map and from the difference I've noticed with my bike I'd say it was money VERY well spent. It no longer has the 'light-switch' on/off throttle, its crisp, and pulls hard when whacked open - just a whole new bike !

The PC3 comes standard with a generic map for the 929 as stock - no mods. It should smooth things out a little, but if you're still finding things are very abrupt I'd have the thing checked out on a dyno - who knows what the guy who had the bike before you has done to it ? (you can alter settings etc manually by using the buttons on the front of the unit rather than using a laptop - maybe he had a play with these ?).

You could always jump onto the Dynojet website and check out the list of maps they have there for downloading to see if you can find something that suits your bike - at least then you'd know where you were at with it...

The PC3 gives you the ability to tune out the symptoms you're describing provided fuel quality, air filters, and engine tune are all OK - I have assumed in writing this that you don't have any of these issues with the bike ?

Good Luck !

·
Registered
454 Posts
dmz said:
Hi everyone,

For example when I take on a tight corner and I am around 3-4k RPM and roll off the throttle entering the corner, half way thru the corner I want to give some gas to accelerate out of the turn smoothly. Well, most of the time when I try to get on the gas slowly, I usually get nothing and all the sudden I get too much and the bike almost lunch forward.

Thanks,

dmz
Hey, just a quick thought, it's a bit of a long shot but 3,000rpm is where the HTEV is opening - you don't have a problem with that do you ?

Cheers, Spanky

·
Registered
847 Posts
My 929's throttle was considerably smoother after I sync'd the throttle bodies. Still has some lurching coming off of closed position but not nearly as much. I have a Micron slipon and a PC3, but no custom map.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Check the slack in your throttle cable(s) too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had some slight lag before changing my oil. I had the impression that the bike came with normal automotive Mobil 1 Synthetic in it. Switched to a real motorcycle oil and the lag seemed to go away.

That could be somewhat placebo, but it seemed to make the difference.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
damn I wish I still had my bike. it never had this issue. and I kinda worry that if I get another one its gonna be like that.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I simply learned to ride with it 100% stock. No feel that I need something different & yes I can notice the better 954 set-up, but at home on both of them. Could be that in a month I should be into my 60 continual year of riding & then close to 76 yrs of age-----well mid July anyway.Guess I have ridden with some of the strangest things yes to even left hand throttles & hand gear changes with foot clutches to you name it for I was part owner of several m/c shops from '48 till '53.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts