Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently noticed that my 929 has developed a faint ticking noise that appears to come from around the tank area. I went on an 80 mile ride today and a couple of times at traffic lights I couldn't hear it but could at other times. The ticking doesn't change in frequency if I rev the engine.

The bike has done 7,500miles. I changed the oil and filter at 5,000 miles.
There is no loss of power.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anybody got any suggestion for things I can check?

There are no error lights. Oil level is fine. As I said above I changed the oil at 5,000 miles for Motul 300V.

I can't believe it's valve clearances as the bike has only done 7,500 miles and the ticking speed doesn't seem to change when the bike is revved.

·
Registered
262 Posts
my 929 has been ticking to. when you start it cool it doesnt tick. after it warms up a bit it starts tick, but mine ticks with rpm's. sometimes mine gets louder and then sometimes its quite. idk it shouldnt make these noises though lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my 929 has been ticking to. when you start it cool it doesnt tick. after it warms up a bit it starts tick, but mine ticks with rpm's. sometimes mine gets louder and then sometimes its quite. idk it shouldnt make these noises though lol
I'll double check it this week to see if revving it affects the ticking. I tried it at traffic lights but my end can is quite loud so was hard to tell before I had to set off again as the lights changed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is gonna sound retarded but.... Are you wearing pants with any sort of thign that can blow around in the wind? Or a hoody, backpack, etc.

Cuz first time I wore a hoody over my MC jacket the little things you tug on to tighten the hood were smacking my helmet and it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what it was. Relieved after pulling over I felt pretty stupid. LOL

If it's not affected by RPMS it's not engine related. Does it only do this when you're moving? Does it do it at idle. When you test the engine RPMS are you moving and clutching in and revving the throttle or do you accelerate and start moving faster?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is gonna sound retarded but.... Are you wearing pants with any sort of thign that can blow around in the wind? Or a hoody, backpack, etc.

Cuz first time I wore a hoody over my MC jacket the little things you tug on to tighten the hood were smacking my helmet and it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what it was. Relieved after pulling over I felt pretty stupid. LOL

If it's not affected by RPMS it's not engine related. Does it only do this when you're moving? Does it do it at idle. When you test the engine RPMS are you moving and clutching in and revving the throttle or do you accelerate and start moving faster?
That's a good question but I was wearing full leathers with all zips done up and strapped down.

I noticed the ticking when stopped at lights and when I got home. When I tested by revving the throttle it was whilst stationary at lights. I didn't have much time to diagnose it as the lights would change and I would pull away. I will start the bike up tonight and listen for the ticking from cold up until the engine is warm. I will also try revving it with the clutch in and out in neutral.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My guess is you have a lose pannel on your bike and it's moving around. That or your chain has a tight spot in it and needs some lubbing and you're hearing that when you're rollin. Mine is worn out and unless I stay ontop of the cleaning it goes tap tap tap tap when I'm rolling on the highway. I hear it bouncin off the barriers..

Check the pannels that are behind the front wheel near the radiator =]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know for a fact that the V panel behind the front wheel has one of the clips missing that I have but haven't put back in yet. I didn't put it back together quite right when I did the oil and filter change.

I'm a bit anal about lubing the chain. I clean it every 600 miles and lube it after every 100 miles or so. I use Wurth Dry Lube and so far the chain hasn't needed adjusting and the tension is still between 40-50mm of play in the centre.

I will check it tomorrow night after work and will reattach the V shape panel properly. I will also check all of the fairing bolts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know for a fact that the V panel behind the front wheel has one of the clips missing that I have but haven't put back in yet. I didn't put it back together quite right when I did the oil and filter change.

I'm a bit anal about lubing the chain. I clean it every 600 miles and lube it after every 100 miles or so. I use Wurth Dry Lube and so far the chain hasn't needed adjusting and the tension is still between 40-50mm of play in the centre.

I will check it tomorrow night after work and will reattach the V shape panel properly. I will also check all of the fairing bolts.
Quick check is leave teh bike off. Push the bike around or roll it down a hill with you on the bike... If the chain is making that noise you found your problem :)

Otherwise my moneys on a lose pannel flapping around in the wind.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest is with the bike stationary on the side stand it ticks.
The ticking appears to come from the left hand side of the engine.
I think it varies with engine speed but as soon as I blip the throttle or increase it steadily I can't hear the engine over the sound of the exhaust.

It's not the HTEV as I can look at the servo and build the revs and it moves to the half open position.
I didn't rev it high enough to watch move to fully open.

Does this sound like the CCT? Is it likely the CCT has gone after 7,500miles??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think they all do it...I have read before on other fourms about this and it seems to be a common problem and I don't think there is a fix but it doesn't hurt anything...I'll have to find the fourm I found it on and post it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well lets take a look at whats actually on the left side of the engine.. Stator, and the 4th injector..

Okay, so CCT is on the right hand side of the engine, not your issue.

it's likely a sticking injector that's just getting really ****in noisy. Try running some injector cleanor or seafoam through your next tank, might clean it out. Who knows.

That or again there is something vibrating on that side. Once the frequency picks up you can't hear it anymore.

You could try moving your 4th and 3rd injector over to 1 and 2 and see if the problem switches sides.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well lets take a look at whats actually on the left side of the engine.. Stator, and the 4th injector..

Okay, so CCT is on the right hand side of the engine, not your issue.

it's likely a sticking injector that's just getting really ****in noisy. Try running some injector cleanor or seafoam through your next tank, might clean it out. Who knows.

That or again there is something vibrating on that side. Once the frequency picks up you can't hear it anymore.

You could try moving your 4th and 3rd injector over to 1 and 2 and see if the problem switches sides.
When we talk about left side are you referring to the opposite side to the clutch? Left when viewed from behind the bike?

It's definitely a metallic sounding tick. I will try to video it but I've got a feeling the exhaust will overpower the mic and it won't pick up the ticking.

I'll try some injector cleaner this weekend at the next fill up.

If that doesn't work I'll swap the injectors over.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When we talk about left side are you referring to the opposite side to the clutch? Left when viewed from behind the bike?

It's definitely a metallic sounding tick. I will try to video it but I've got a feeling the exhaust will overpower the mic and it won't pick up the ticking.

I'll try some injector cleaner this weekend at the next fill up.

If that doesn't work I'll swap the injectors over.

Thanks for the feedback.
When you refer to left and right sides of a bike you refer to it as from the sitting position. So the left hand side would be your Stator and clutch lever, right hand side has your clutch plates/exhaust/front brake lever...

Please clarify what you were referring to and post back here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you refer to left and right sides of a bike you refer to it as from the sitting position. So the left hand side would be your Stator and clutch lever, right hand side has your clutch plates/exhaust/front brake lever...

Please clarify what you were referring to and post back here.
That's exactly what I meant :smilebig:

Left hand side when viewed from the sitting position.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went for several rides over the weekend and the ticking is there sometimes and not at others.

I'm not going to worry too much about it as it doesn't appear to be effected by engine speed and there is no loss in power that I can tell.

Does anyone know a way to tell if the air box flapper is working?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Went for several rides over the weekend and the ticking is there sometimes and not at others.

I'm not going to worry too much about it as it doesn't appear to be effected by engine speed and there is no loss in power that I can tell.

Does anyone know a way to tell if the air box flapper is working?
Yep if you look at the left hand side of the bike and run your fingers where the cable goes you should feel the actuator move when you blip the throttle with the engine running. Once you feel how slowly it actually reacts you'll think about removing it.

I recommend removnig it as it smoothens out the throttle on the bike BIG TIME. I won't ever put mine back in. The bike feels a lot nicer without it being there period.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep if you look at the left hand side of the bike and run your fingers where the cable goes you should feel the actuator move.

I recommend removnig it as it smoothens out the throttle on the bike BIG TIME. I won't ever put mine back in.
Does removing the flapper effect low down torque much?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does removing the flapper effect low down torque much?
I kept the exhaust valve. I just removed the airbox flapper. It made the bike smoother to drive, and its a sport bike, what low down torque? :p

It feels more powerful with it out as the engine responds to throttle opening much faster now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts