Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Fireblade after twelve years on a Transalp! People say the 954 is a better bike than the 929 and consequently is more expensive. I probably can only afford a 929. I'm looking at a 2002 929 which does it for me. Any thoughts on the merits of the two models would be appreciated. Is the 954 much better?

Thanks
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome.

I have one of each and buck the trend by consistently saying on record that 'for me' the 929 is a better bike. Sure, the 954 is claimed to be lighter, but the 929, with similar set up, seems a better all-round package.

Plenty of further info in the following:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi.

Ihave had a 929 and now a 954.
As Nigel says the 929 has a bit better sitting position then a 954. You sit a bit more forwarded on a 954.
Regarding horsepower i don´t think you notice the difference.
So if you take longer rides i would say 929 and if you ride it harder and maybe on Track the 954.
Track picture is with a 929 for a couple of years ago.
Tomorrow i will do first Track Day with the 954.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've had both too, and I think the 954 was on paper a slightly better bike but i prefer the 929 and with the money i made on selling the 954 it covered the PC3, end can, BMC air filter and dyno time to set it all up so ended up with a more sorted bike anyway!! And still had cash to spare! win-win

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Very helpful. Beautiful bikes. Sounds like the 929 is the one for me. Any thoughts about what to look for in a 929 when buying one would be appreciated. Also the one I looked at had a different key for the tank. I assume one or other have been changed? Also It has the Honda hiss imobileisor. Should there be a flashing light to tell you it is working? Thanks again. Andy.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
On the 954 it will flash every 3 sec or so for 24hrs once the ignition is turned off , its not the same on the 929, but both flash when turned on for 2 sec

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Re the different key, either the tank or the ignition has been changed. I would favour the tank was wrecked in an off. Check if it's had an insurance claim.

Obviously the lower mileage the better. I always look out for the quick clean up which makes a bike look saleable. Anyone can do that. The caring owners will have bikes with clean insides of swing arm and rear shock, clean down pipes, and clean UNDER the head stem where no ordinary owner looks or cares about. Expect to pay £2,500 to £3,000 max - unless you can fluke a super good one, in which case you'd be beating me to it!:D

Can't help you with the H.I.S.S light because my 929 is a USA model and they don't have it. (I see it's just been answered above)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
the HISS light does not flash when the bike is off, unlike later models that do. It should come on with the ignition and go back out after a second or 2. if it stays on the chip in the key is the wrong one or not being read by the ecu. the different key for the tank does sound like somethings happened - either the lock was smashed in an attempted theft or the tank was smashed in a crash, in which case I should have thought they would have re-used the cap off the old tank. You can do an HPI check for about a £10'er and will give info on if its stolen or insurance write off. £15 gets a much more in depth check: HPI Check - Used car history check, UK's No 1 - checks for Finance / Write off / Mileage discrepancy

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought my 929rr based on seating position. yes it still puts a lot of weight on your wrists when you forget to hold on to the tank with your knees. I helped a friend get is 03' back on the road, i did test ride it and i was definitely leaning forward more, i did also help him install a new set of bars with a 3" riser to help elevate that forward lean. I installed a set of 3" risers on my 929 and it did help a lot with the seating position. all in all, i would not give up my 929.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a final question. The tank key also fits the compartment under the pillion seat so that suggests it is the ignition that has been changed? So attempted theft more likely than crash? If you were replacing the ignition how would that impact on the imobileisor? The immobiliser is important to me because I live in inner London and dont have a garage! Thanks. Andy.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Just make sure it has more than 1 Ignition key , although there are ways of programming another key (DIY up to 4) but any other key has to be "Chipped " to allow that to happen using the original Ignition key

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So a final question. The tank key also fits the compartment under the pillion seat so that suggests it is the ignition that has been changed? So attempted theft more likely than crash? If you were replacing the ignition how would that impact on the imobileisor? The immobiliser is important to me because I live in inner London and dont have a garage! Thanks. Andy.
Yes, agreed, that does sound like it was attempted theft by (an idiot!) as I previously mentioned might be the case. The ignition switch is just that, nothing clever about it (apart from the pink wire to the ECU which is fed 9v not 12v). There is a separate coil that fits around the the top of the switch in the plastic surround and this is what the ECU uses to read the chip in the key. So, changing the switch makes no impact on the immobiliser. I would have to imagine that they either swapped the chip out the old key in to the replacement key, or programmed the new key to the ECU. Provided you have at lease 1 working HISS chip programmed to the ECU then you can add more and this is a DIY job. If you had only 1 working HISS key and lost it then its expensive! Either new ECU from Honda or there are some places that will re-programme the ECU but changing something inside the box.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Thank you gentlemen (I'm assuming you are gentlemen, don't want to be sexist). . .
Very important point for me. Might be 'coming out' as trans soon. Guess I'll have to work on what I want to be called.

Easily solved though, I'll just ask my mentor Caitlin Jenner.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🥂

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No Pink wire from Ignition to ECU on British spec bikes , Just Pink wire to Immobiliser from ECU ;)
I thought the HISS immobiliser is internal part of the ecu although the wiring diagram does show it separately I’m dammed if I have ever seen it while I’ve been working on the bike!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts