Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Cheers Bill. I never realised there was such a convoluted process in just turning the ignition on. So many things that some of us might take for granted.
:giggle: After all that your still better off with a good strong chain into the ground, as 2 strong lads could pick the bike up and walk away with it Immobiliser or not, they make'em too light these days:oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You mentioned looking at a 2002 929. I'm pretty sure the 929 was only made in 2000 and 2001. In 2002 the 954 came out and was made in 2002/2003.

Anyway, I just bought a 2001 929 and love it. I paid $3,500 USD for it and it only had 5,780 miles. The tires were original, so I had to buy a new set. Changed the oil, coolant, brake fluid but didn't have to do much else. It came with a Power Commander V, GPR Stabilizer, Corbin Seat (favorite upgrade), exhaust that I replaced with original, and a few minor things. I think I got a good deal. I created a watch on Cycle Trader and was notified of bikes for sale about twice a week. Finally found the one I wanted and drove 10 hours to go pick it up. Worth every penny spent and hour driven to get it.

Good luck on your search, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
You mentioned looking at a 2002 929. I'm pretty sure the 929 was only made in 2000 and 2001. . .
And you're correct.

UK has a horrible, almost deceptive habit, of dating bikes by their first year of registration. What has probably occurred is that the bike IS a 2001 model, but was registered after 1st March 2002 which would give it an XX02 numberplate. (XX being random alpha characters based upon the registration zone.

I might have mentioned this before, but some 'unscrupulous' dealers will purposely advertise a bike by its registered date as a means of making a bike look newer. Here is one such example:
Honda CBR1000RR SP Fireblade 2018 - only 1422 miles | eBay

The bike is clearly advertised as a '2018', but anyone who knows these bikes will recognise it as a 2017 'H' model. Very little difference between the two, but the BIG tell-tale is that the 2017s have a blue 'Honda' decal on the belly pan whereas the 2018 has red. The 2019 has slightly different paint treatment of the tank and fairing .

Sorry about the long-windedness. Some overseas members and readers find these things interesting. AND I am proud to show that we have dealers who will shaft you just like others around the world!!:)(y)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ya, I've a 02 plate 929, my 954 was 02 but it was actually a 2002 bike, and a I've a15 plate 2014 1000rr rr-e. At least I know what I'm getting my self in to though!! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
And here's a classic spanner in the works. Most of you have seen my Triumph Daytona. Officially billed as a 2020 model, but built in 2019. So I went and put an '02' plate on it. The naive will think it's a 2002 model (quite reasonable as they look as if they come out of 2002 :D ).

That just shows the UK registration authority's mentality when we can buy a plate privately with an older 'date' but we can't buy one with a post-dated numeral. Of course I understand this, as the shonkies will be selling older cars as new (as illustrated above) but having lived in Australia for many years and having purchased personalised plates there, never has there been a problem because buyers and dealers work from (quite rightfully) VINs rather than the date of registration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I need advice. Lots of it 😅
I just got a 954 year 2003. It is a tidy bike but came with a "wrecked" engine. According to the seller, the original crankcase had an oil leak due to a cracked block. He tried to weld the hairline crack but it became a pothole. So He ended up having to order a used crankcase off eBay and he transferred all the internals over and it started up okay. But, over 2500 RPM , knocking noises much like the valves hitting the top of the piston can be heard. Louder if the revs climb more. He suspect the con rod bearings are gone (too much play), or the internals from the original engine doesn't match the used eBay crankcase. He can't be sure and having no more funds, he pushed the bike into storage. After 3 years, I bought it off him at a discounted price. At least thats his story.

Now the bike starts and idle great. No funny noises. But once at 2500 RPM, the knocking noise starts and at 3500 you just kill the engine because you don't want the engine to blow up 😥

Can I just bolt in a complete 929 engine and use back all the other 954 bits ?? Will the 929 run ok on the 954 fueling and ignition and exhaust system? I can buy a running scrapped 929 here for reasonable money, but no 954 available at the moment.

Or should I strip out the engine to look at what's wrong and buy parts to fix it? Any ideas if it's fixable ? If it's just the crank or con rod bearings to replace, then I can save lots of money. I'm reasonably handy as I work on my own cars n small lorry, but never worked on a superbike before.

Is this is a possible diy job and what's the chances for success, before I put in time and money to rebuild this engine?

I'm inclined to replace it with that running 929 motor if it's possible to just plug n play, mostly because I'm itching to ride her.
And then slowly work on the wrecked engine when fund permits. Keep it as a spare. And then I'll also have a whole 929 spare bike to part out or use as a trackday bike in the future..but still a dream this trackday stuff 😅🤣

Thank you in advance for all advice.

hantukomkom

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Have a look here, post #9,
I would be more inclined to a Compression test, if thats OK , then engine out and replace parts , could be cheaper in the long run, also you know the engine will be good once finished, at least that's what I'd do:whistle:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
mostly it will fit. the Fi on the 954 uses bigger injectors, different inlet throttle bodies, trumpets, and airbox. there are people who fit the 954 ones to a 929 as the bigger throttle bodies allow more air in and there are some power gains to be had. i think if you fit all the 954 stuff to the 929 motor in a 954 frame it would actually all fit.

the fueling will be wrong and it will run rich but a power commander and dyno time will correct that quite easily. expect to pay around £200 for the dyno plus the cost of the power commander.

Here in the UK you need to advise the vehicle licencing people (DVLA) of the change in engine, engine number, and CC, and insurance too as its a modified bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a look here, post #9,
I would be more inclined to a Compression test, if thats OK , then engine out and replace parts , could be cheaper in the long run, also you know the engine will be good once finished, at least that's what I'd do:whistle:
Hi, thanks for the tips.
Seems like all electricals and fuel and even exhaust have to be swapped over from the 929...
Perhaps running the compression test and stripping the engine to have a good look might be the thing to do.
Thanks again. 👍🏼

·
Registered
3 Posts
mostly it will fit. the Fi on the 954 uses bigger injectors, different inlet throttle bodies, trumpets, and airbox. there are people who fit the 954 ones to a 929 as the bigger throttle bodies allow more air in and there are some power gains to be had. i think if you fit all the 954 stuff to the 929 motor in a 954 frame it would actually all fit.

the fueling will be wrong and it will run rich but a power commander and dyno time will correct that quite easily. expect to pay around £200 for the dyno plus the cost of the power commander.

Here in the UK you need to advise the vehicle licencing people (DVLA) of the change in engine, engine number, and CC, and insurance too as its a modified bike.
Hi. Thank you for the tips.
It's not actually as straightforward as I'll like to think it is 😅
We have the same dvla rules here in Malaysia but it is a lot of hassle and very costly too, so actually replacing an engine with another is a last resort exercise for most people.
I think I'm going to strip the wrecked engine to have a look inside
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi, thanks for the tips.
Seems like all electricals and fuel and even exhaust have to be swapped over from the 929...
Perhaps running the compression test and stripping the engine to have a good look might be the thing to do.
Thanks again. 👍🏼
the electricals don't need swapping, unless you want to use a 929 ECU and injectors. The bikes have the same fuel pump and FPR on both bike. I suspect you can use the exhaust from the 954 on the 929 engine. iirc the 954 is a slightly bigger piston bore but other than this the external dimensions are the same for both.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi. Thank you for the tips.
It's not actually as straightforward as I'll like to think it is 😅
We have the same dvla rules here in Malaysia but it is a lot of hassle and very costly too, so actually replacing an engine with another is a last resort exercise for most people.
I think I'm going to strip the wrecked engine to have a look inside
Thanks again
don't forget to post findings, with pictures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Fireblade after twelve years on a Transalp! People say the 954 is a better bike than the 929 and consequently is more expensive. I probably can only afford a 929. I'm looking at a 2002 929 which does it for me. Any thoughts on the merits of the two models would be appreciated. Is the 954 much better?

Thanks
Andy
I have been riding a 929 for almost 58k miles. Previously had a 954 for 27k miles. I say 100% without a doubt the 929 is a better bike. More reliable, better response, and drags knee a lot easier for some reason. I honestly could hardly tell a power difference. I ride a 2000 929 and I will keep it for the rest of my life. 58k miles and haven’t had any major problems other than replace the seals and a couple chains I’ve been through. (All is obviously normal for any bike)
929 is by far better bike in my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
^^^

Thank goodness I have a fellow believer. People think I'm crazy when I voice my opinions about the 929.

The problem is that half (or more) of those claiming the 954 is better have probably never one or both of the bikes. It's a case of the old, 'My aunties boyfriend said,' and before long it's taken as gospel by half the biking community.

So rapt in them am I that you might have noticed I just bought another one today! :love:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts