Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for the technical types.

Just did a valve check on my 01 929. Zipped her up. Hit the starter. Engine turns over but no sound of catching at all ie just like it's free spinning.

Checked over all electrical plugs for loose connections. All are ok.

Fuses are good.

Stumped. Don't know where to look next. Wondering if there's something obvious that I overlooked.

Any thoughts?

Seeker
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides

·
Registered
433 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump turn on and pressurize the system? I am assuming you took the tank off to check the valves. If so the only electrical connections that you have to remove that would prevent the bike from starting are the fuel pump connection and the plugs. If the plugs are connected and the fuel pump is connected then I don't know where else to look.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. The fuel pump comes on when I turn ignition on.
The wires at the plugs seem tight ( I also did a plug check when I checked the valves)

Seeker

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do you smell raw fuel after trying to start it?  Try pulling the plugs to see if they are wet/fouled.  It's gotta be one of three things... fuel, spark or air.

Another thought - was there any cam movement during the valve check?  Could be a timing issue

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BizJetGuy :
Do you smell raw fuel after trying to start it? Try pulling the plugs to see if they are wet/fouled.

Not much. But pulling plugs is my net step.

It's gotta be one of three things... fuel, spark or air.

Yes, on of the three. But with all the Electronic engine management, several components could be affecting spark.
I hear the fuel pump come on som I didn't suspect fuel. But I'll look to see if the plugs are wet.
Air is not the problem. The airbox is off.

Another thought - was there any cam movement during the valve check? Could be a timing issue

I rotated the crank. Cam and crank did not move independetly. ie I didn't take the chain off.

seems to me I did nothing different than the last time I checked the valves this spring. So I'm stumped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to mine at the dealer not sure what its called but there is like a cam position sensor that will cause this problem also..At least thats what they told me happened to my bike..Could also have been a dealer saving face..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Seeker : Engine turns over but no sound of catching at all ie just like it's free spinning.  
Is it 'free spinning' like there's no compression or is it spinning like it does normally, except for the 'vroom, vroom' part?

Also, double check the spark plug order from the harness to the plug. It's really easy to cross them up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChinoD : This happened to mine at the dealer not sure what its called but there is like a cam position sensor that will cause this problem also..At least thats what they told me happened to my bike..Could also have been a dealer saving face..
Quote This happened to mine at the dealer not sure what its called but there is like a cam position sensor that will cause this problem also..At least thats what they told me happened to my bike..Could also have been a dealer saving face..

Interesting. So what did they do?

Seeker

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joel : Quote (Seeker @ Aug. 15 2003, 10:35am)Engine turns over but no sound of catching at all ie just like it's free spinning.  
Is it 'free spinning' like there's no compression or is it spinning like it does normally, except for the 'vroom, vroom' part?

Also, double check the spark plug order from the harness to the plug.  It's really easy to cross them up.
Quote Is it 'free spinning' like there's no compression or is it spinning like it does normally, except for the 'vroom, vroom' part?

It sounds like there's compression, But absolutely no spark. Pulled the plugs. They're wet. So gas and air are not suspects. Seems to be something with ignition.

Can't see why though. I did the valve/plug check the same way I did it last April. Doubled checked all connections that needed to be plugged/unplugged.

Also, double check the spark plug order from the harness to the plug. It's really easy to cross them up.

No worries. I numbered my leads 1-4 with a Sharpie. Number 2 is the easy one to mix with #3. But I noticed that Honda has put a blue identifier tape around number 2 to prevent crossing.

Seeker

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea!

But I'm curious how many miles are on the bike and were the valve clearances within spec? Also, not including the rash of problems you are having, how long did it take you to do the check?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seeker : Here's a question for the technical types.

Just did a valve check on my 01 929. Zipped her up. Hit the starter. Engine turns over but no sound of catching at all ie just like it's free spinning.  

Checked over all electrical plugs for loose connections. All are ok.

Fuses are good.

Stumped. Don't know where to look next. Wondering if there's something obvious that I overlooked.

Any thoughts?  

Seeker
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides
Things I've checked already.
-Mass air flow connectors
-ignition pulse generator
-cam pulse generator connections, all secure.

Plus every other connector that I've come across. So, at this point, I'm eliminating a physical connection as possible cause.
Unless I've got a faulty ground somewhere. . .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting closer, but not quite there yet.

My MIL now gives me the code of bad ignition pulse generator. Anyone had this before?

Seeker

·
Registered
576 Posts
Seeker : Getting closer, but not quite there yet.

My MIL now gives me the code of bad ignition pulse generator. Anyone had this before?  

Seeker
The book implies this is a fairly fragile part. 8-7 states ' To avoid damaging the cam pulse generator while removing the camshafts, remove the bolt and cam pulse generator from the cylinder head'.

I know you didn't pull your camshafts, but is the generator plugged in properly?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joel : The book implies this is a fairly fragile part. 8-7 states ' To avoid damaging the cam pulse generator while removing the camshafts, remove the bolt and cam pulse generator from the cylinder head'.

I know you didn't pull your camshafts, but is the generator plugged in properly?

----------------------
Unfortunately, yes.

How about a bad ignition pulse generator. Anyone had this before?

Seeker

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same damn problem after a wire harness meltdown. The bike would start fine but after going to the dealer (they diagnosed the wiring harness melted) I picked up the bike, changed the harness and went to fire it up and it would spin but no spark at all. Turned out to be the ECU, I borrowed one and it started right up, funny thing is I also got the exact same error code. See if you can borrow an ECU from someone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WyseOne : I had the same damn problem after a wire harness meltdown.
What made your harness meltdown? Were you running high watt bulbs?

Quote Turned out to be the ECU, I borrowed one and it started right up, funny thing is I also got the exact same error code. See if you can borrow an ECU from someone.

How much is the ECU? Any relation between the harness meltdown and ECU going bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seeker not quite sure which sensor was replaced but that's what they did too mine.. I'll try to find the work order and give you a part number of the one they replaced on mine. If it is an ecu I believe I saw a post from 929badboy that he had an ecu.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Seeker, if it turns out you have a bad ECU then I will probably have one for sale soon. I picked up a complete wiring harness with ECU last winter for the race bike (just in case). I only have a couple of races left on the 929 before I sell it so if you need an ECU then I will be unloading mine in the next month or so. I haven't checked the ECU to verify it actually works, but I am sure we could work something out if you needed it.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
lfg929 : I only have a couple of races left on the 929 before I sell it so if you need an ECU then I will be unloading mine in the next month or so.
Why are you selling the 929?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts