Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

929 wont start, green key light flashes..

6K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Jcbam 
#1 ·
Hi clever forum folk.
Wonder if you can help - took the old girl (2000 929) to the MOT station yesterday. She was going beautifully after a winter of new fork seals, shock, swing arm clean and grease, general cleaning up. Parked outside the shop after a 10 mile ride, when I came out she wouldn't fire up. Rescued her home. Full description of fault - ignition on, oil light & FI light come on. Green key light comes on solid, starts flashing after 10 seconds or so, 2 short, 1 long, 1 short. This indicates a faulty ecm :idunno: I think. Both keys same indication. Apart from replacing the ecm, any other ideas? Don't know anyone else with one of these, I'm afraid, to borrow bits from. I live in Hailsham UK. Does anyone know if Carmo in the Netherlands are good for test/repair of my existing ecu? About £250 OUCH but am not keen on buying some piece of crap off ebay.
Thanks chaps, ride safe.

#8 ·
Well I got the bike like that... I was wondering why the fuel pump would always run.
Turns out when I installed a new relay it just wouldn't prime.
What was also interesting was when I killed the power to the fuel pump the bike would cut out. Therefore my thinking is when the bike starts the fuel pump is put back on.
I'm guessing the ecu primes the bike then turns off the pump to start the bike then starts pumping fuel. I'm at the stage either there is an issue with the HISS cables or the ecu/ecm is gubbed. In any case the jumper fixed it for now.

#14 ·
Hi, I jumpered out the fuel cut off relay and the pump now is permanently on. Error still flashes and the bike will not start though. Can anybody offer any help or shall I send it off (at vast expense) to Carmo electronics in the Netherlands? Cant think of anything else to try......

#15 ·
UPDATE
sent the ECM off to Carmo electronics in Holland. They told me that at some point in the past it had been reprogrammed with new keys. This is done by drilling a hole in the unit. Afterwards whoever twat it was only sealed the hole with silicone when it needs to be epoxied. So, water got inside and corroded it. They've fixed it apparently, now just waiting to get it back. I'll let you know when it's back on the road.

#19 ·
UPDATE
sent the ECM off to Carmo electronics in Holland. They told me that at some point in the past it had been reprogrammed with new keys. This is done by drilling a hole in the unit. Afterwards whoever twat it was only sealed the hole with silicone when it needs to be epoxied. So, water got inside and corroded it. They've fixed it apparently, now just waiting to get it back. I'll let you know when it's back on the road.
You will know what's going on with the guy... :smilebig::smilebig:

#17 ·
Carmo replaced the memory chip and programmed 3 keys I sent with the ECU. They rang me before starting the work for approval. They charged £244 for everything and it has a year's warranty. It took about 3 weeks. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly. A bit pricey I guess but maybe you get what you pay for.

#20 ·
Hi clever forum folk.
Wonder if you can help - took the old girl (2000 929) to the MOT station yesterday. She was going beautifully after a winter of new fork seals, shock, swing arm clean and grease, general cleaning up. Parked outside the shop after a 10 mile ride, when I came out she wouldn't fire up. Rescued her home. Full description of fault - ignition on, oil light & FI light come on. Green key light comes on solid, starts flashing after 10 seconds or so, 2 short, 1 long, 1 short. This indicates a faulty ecm :idunno: I think. Both keys same indication. Apart from replacing the ecm, any other ideas? Don't know anyone else with one of these, I'm afraid, to borrow bits from. I live in Hailsham UK. Does anyone know if Carmo in the Netherlands are good for test/repair of my existing ecu? About £250 OUCH but am not keen on buying some piece of crap off ebay.
Thanks chaps, ride safe.
Hi dit you win i have the same problem and dont know what to do

#22 ·
Hi clever forum folk.
Thanks chaps, ride safe.
I have the same problem

#31 ·
The is a coil around the ignition switch to pick up the code from the chip in the key and it could be that the pick-up coil is damaged so the chip is not being detected, the wiring back to the ECU is faulty/broken/unplugged or it could be at the ECU end that the contacts are corroded and so the signal isn't getting there.

#32 ·
I thit take out my 929 old harnas and put in n new cbr 1000rr harnas w the ecu and key and the hiss .and stil no prime or spark the ecu reads the key all good stil no prime and spark . What i dit see ther is no 12v power on the ecu.. do eny 1 know wher the main power pin is on the ecu what color ? The ecu is now n 2004 cbr 1000rr ecu box on a 929 bike

#34 ·
Agree with @machinehead , why did you take out the 929 harness? had you lost the keys ,and are you saying the EU is identifying the key but no fuel prime, have you attached all auxillary's to the harness (Lights, relays safety switches) then isolated them, it might have been easier to have bought a USA 929 ECU and harness, ignition and keys, but of course you wouldn't have had HISS,:unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.