Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, pulled my tank back too far to get to the airbox to replace the air filter and busted the fuel return hose. After sufficiently bathing myself in gasoline I replaced that hose as well as the vent hose to the evap canister (It's a CA model). Now she won't start. Engine is turning over strongly, but just won't start. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on.

Here is what I have done:
-Check all the hoses for kinks, looks OK
-Looked to see if I pulled any wires out when I pulled the tank back too far. Everything looks OK
-Bank angle sensor looks OK

In the interest of full disclosure a couple of other things that were touched since the last time it ran I thought I should mention:
-Removed the O2 sensor and put an O2 sensor eliminator. I put a bolt in the pipe. Should have done this when I installed my power commander III
-Removed the tail section to rewire the tail light/turn signals.
-Replaced the turn signal flash relay with an aftermarket one
-Removed and reinstalled the battery

I'm guessing it's just not getting fuel, but not sure why. What would you check?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well, pulled my tank back too far to get to the airbox to replace the air filter and busted the fuel return hose. After sufficiently bathing myself in gasoline I replaced that hose as well as the vent hose to the evap canister (It's a CA model). Now she won't start. Engine is turning over strongly, but just won't start. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on.

Here is what I have done:
-Check all the hoses for kinks, looks OK
-Looked to see if I pulled any wires out when I pulled the tank back too far. Everything looks OK
-Bank angle sensor looks OK

In the interest of full disclosure a couple of other things that were touched since the last time it ran I thought I should mention:
-Removed the O2 sensor and put an O2 sensor eliminator. I put a bolt in the pipe. Should have done this when I installed my power commander III
-Removed the tail section to rewire the tail light/turn signals.
-Replaced the turn signal flash relay with an aftermarket one
-Removed and reinstalled the battery

I'm guessing it's just not getting fuel, but not sure why. What would you check?

Any codes on the dash?
Kill switch is on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No codes on the dash. Kill switch? Man, that would be embarrassing. I always leave it on. I'll have to check it when I get home, but the starter is cranking. I don't recall if it will crank with the kill switch off.

Just for Fun, I went home at lunch and the kill switch right where I left it, in the on position. Fuses all look OK and although I did end up draining a lot of gas, my low fuel isn't on. Maybe I'll throw in a gallon of gas just for the heck of it.

Now what?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
If you can hear the pump prime, and you checked all your hoses, then are you sure you're getting spark? See if she fires on a little blast of starting fluid?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can hear the pump prime, and you checked all your hoses, then are you sure you're getting spark? See if she fires on a little blast of starting fluid?
Thanks. I was gonna try that just for kicks. Seems like it would be fuel related since I that is what I messed with but a little starting fluid is an easy check.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fresh gas, no help. I did get her to fire with some starter fluid, so it's getting a spark and not fuel. Suggestions on what to tackle next?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys- new pressure regulator, new fuel hose, new fuel return hose, new fuel filter. Nada. No codes, she wants to start with a little starter fluid so she just isn't getting fuel. Ideas? Anyone!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Make sure you are not crimping a fuel hose or squashing one when you refit the fuel tank and that you have connected the lines correctly, remove one line at a time to check that there is no metal/rust swarfes from the tank blocking a line.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I'm stumped. I know you've probably checked and rechecked your hoses and routing. Pump primes, right? You mentioned you could hear it.
There's a test in the manual that has you check for fuel volume by disconnecting the fuel supply hose (at the injectors, irrc), and running the fuel pump for a certain amount of time. Then you measure how much fuel is in the pale and see if it's enough. A fuel pressure test may be in order too.

But it still sounds like blockage of some sort. Weird... Injectors? Kickstand switch?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, kind of a mystery. I would think if it was getting not enough fuel it would kick a bit, but it's just cranking (unless I give it a shot of starter fluid) so I think tomorrow I'll disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and see if it's got any fuel there at all.

Any chance my power commander went bad and it's causing this? It's powering up and everything but now I gotta start looking at least likely.

I'll double check the hoses again, but since I just replaced then I'm pretty sure that's not it.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Yeah, kind of a mystery. I would think if it was getting not enough fuel it would kick a bit, but it's just cranking (unless I give it a shot of starter fluid) so I think tomorrow I'll disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and see if it's got any fuel there at all.

Any chance my power commander went bad and it's causing this? It's powering up and everything but now I gotta start looking at least likely.

I'll double check the hoses again, but since I just replaced then I'm pretty sure that's not it.
I would definitely unplug the power commander to eliminate it from the equation. That's a basic part of diagnosing most problems a bike may have. process of elimination

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would definitely unplug the power commander to eliminate it from the equation. That's a basic part of diagnosing most problems a bike may have. process of elimination
Thanks Jon. I'll try that next weekend and let you know what I discover. Ran out of time today.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
anytime someone has a FI related problem my first piece of advice is to unhook the pc. ive seen it with my own eyes more than once where it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys-Thanks for input. Problem solved. Replacing the damaged fuel return line had nothing to do with it. The power commander ground wire got disconnected accidentally. Here is what I learned, for those maybe doing a search sometime later.

A Power Commander will fire up, lights will flash etc with the ground disconnected and the bike will not run.

An electrical problem can mask itself as a fuel problem.

I has assumed earlier that a power commander that wasn't functioning would make the bike run poorly, but not prevent it from starting. Wrong!

I guess at 34k miles and being almost 15 years old, a new fuel line, return fuel line, pressure regulator, vacuum hose, and fuel filter isn't such a bad thing.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Not a bad thing at all.
Any work on your bike is a good thing, doesn't hurt one bit to replace all those things you did.

Buuuuttt, a loose ground on the PC. Dooohhhhh :smilebig:
We all start learning somewhere.
Props for letting us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jon. Ya, I felt a little foolish when I realized the problem (more so when I was writing up my confessional post!). When I checked the PC and saw it light up when I turned the key I figured "well, that seems to be working". That coupled with the replaced fuel return line and the fact it kicked with starter fluid caused me to incorrectly to assume it was something under the tank rather than under the passenger seat. Frustrating as hell, but I learned something.

·
Banned
831 Posts
It's great when you read the end of a post with a closed ending, than those open ended mysteries as to what really fixed the problem.

Thanks for posting. Got to love good secure grounds on any FI bike and it's add on fuel managers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts