Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 929 no start variant.
1. Replaced dead batter with new YTZ10S battery.
2. Started bike after replacement and let run for about 10 seconds.
3. After 3 days, tried to start bike this morning and engine won't fire. Engine turns over rapidly and stumbles a little, but won't run. Appeared to be a little low on fuel, but reserve light is not lit. Added fuel. No help. Seems like fuel delivery or spark problem.

I will investigate more tonight, but I was wondering if anyone had similar problem and might know the quick fix. Can't figure out how this could be related to replacing the battery or only letting it run for 10 seconds, but I don't believe in coincendences. Had to fire up the old reliable Harley to get to work today. Thanks in advance for your help.
Rick

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same thing happened to me last month, turned out to be fouled plugs. Do you have a PC111 or other fuel management device? You could unplug it and see if that's the problem. I ended up buying new plugs....ouch!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike is 100% stock with 3600 miles. I'm thinking plugs to. Just curious as to why your 'OUCH' comment. Can I assume it is because they are a pain to get to, and not because of the cost?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I would also venture to guess it is the plugs and have run into the same problem (fuel injection kicks in, but not enough power to spark plugs, and they fouled out).  

I would guess the 'OUCH' comment refers to price, from the dealer that is.  Try, Spark Plugs you may end up waiting a few extra days, but it will definately save you some cash.

There was also another company out there known for good prices, I thought Monarch? Maybe someone else can verify?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but hold the throttle WOT and try starting the bike...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it won't start if you hold it WFO. It seems to me I tried it, and the computer decides to protect the motor.

Back to basics, gotta check fuel and spark. Ran for 10 secs and died. Can you hear the fuel pump turning on, and staying on?

·
Registered
705 Posts
No it won't start at WFO, thats the procedure for clearing a flooded engine, crank for 5-10 sec. WFO, close throttle and try again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your help! It was flooded and fired up at WOT just like the manual says. Belched some black smoke, but runs fine now. I didn't expect it to be flooded with the fuel injection, but maybe only letting it run for 10 seconds after replacing the battery wasn't a good idea. Anyways, all is well now. Have a great weekend!
Thanks again,
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts